Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower Harvesting

Posted by garlicgoddess Z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 15:02

I grew sunflowers for the first time in this climate (NE Seattle) and it doesn't seem like I will be getting any actual seeds for my efforts. I read that you should wait until the back of the flower turns from green to yellow to brown, then it's time to harvest them for drying. However the flowers in my yard that are yellow or brown in back are also molding where the seeds would be forming. Is there a way to salvage these, and is this typical?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower Harvesting

Sunflowers can be hit or miss, particularly in this wetter than normal transition from summer to fall that we seem to have had. I wouldn't use any seeds that came in contact with mold. Try again next year and I'll bet you'll have more luck.

o
RE: Sunflower Harvesting

Next summer, you might want to let each plant only produce one or two big sunflowers by cutting away any other flowers while they are still small. That will put more of the energy into producing bigger heads. It will also give you all summer to ripen those two flowers. In the fall, when the flower petals have shrivelled and before our rains hit, cut off the flower, leaving enough stalk so that you can hang it in a sunny, dry, hot spot to cure. You should get the majority of the flower producing viable seed. (But watch out, for the birds will know when the seed is dry and start harvesting it themselves!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here