Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boizeau

Vitis Coignetiae 'Crimson Glory Vine'

boizeau
16 years ago

Wondered if anyone else was using this in the landscape. I have a seedling from the Arboretum, but it didn't have very good fall color.

Comments (18)

• trilliumgeek42
    16 years ago

I've seen this in quit a few gardens and it is beautiful. How old is the seedling and what kind of exposure do you have it in?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Fall color is typically excellent. Even small, containered plants at the nursery have colored up beautifully, although the leaf size is much smaller than those established in the ground. Make sure it is in lots of sun and don't be too kind :-) Most grapes thrive on benign neglect and this is one variety that doesn't even require much in the way of pruning, compared to edible grapes.

• ian_wa
    16 years ago

It always puts on a spectacular show for me as well - pinks, purples, reds, yellows and orange all at once, usually peaking around October 31.

• sweetpea_path
    16 years ago

I was wondering how this species would compare, in fall color, to Vitis californica 'Roger's Red' -- anybody happen to know? This one has always been my ultimate fave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitis californica 'Roger's Red'

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Lots of grapes get good fall color - I'm especially fond of Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea'. IMO, the primary feature of Crimson Glory vine is that it goes through such a range of color and on such huge foliage - the effect is always dramatic.

• misslemonverbena
    16 years ago

I really want to grow this plant. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get established? If I planted a one gallon now what could I expect in the way of size next fall? I heard that this vine does well with limited root space, anyone have experience with that?
    Thanks.

• kneewalker
    16 years ago

This is a vine I would like to plant in 3 very large pots to climb my carport. East and south sun exposure. Pots would sit on rock and gravel sideyard between carport and neighbor's yard. Would they do well? What should I attach to the carport roof frame (whatever that beam-thing is called) for them to cling/attach/weave? They become heavy vines, don't they?

• sweetpea_path
    16 years ago

gardengal ~ thanks for that clarification, now I REALLY want to have a Crimson Glory, too! I've got a couple of the 'Purpurea' already and I love the year round color on that one.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Big leaves on a big vine that is a "glory" of color in the fall. Size is part of the point, the largeness of the plant and leaves producing a spectacle. A full-sized western redcedar (Thuja plicata) is about the right size to host one (and makes a complementary backdrop).

Used to be on the old lathhouses at the Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, and I think growing up a tree (probably Thuja plicata!) out in the main collections - don't know if this last is still present, a bunch of great old climbers (vines) were ripped out under the apparently wrongheaded "care" of previous workers there.

David C. Lam Asian Garden, UBC, Vancouver is another place to see it going up a tree.

• kneewalker
    16 years ago

bboy .... methinks I'll look for something less hefty for my puny carport!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The aforementioned purpleleaf wine grape is comparatively small-growing.

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone has a good fall- colorful specimen, I'd sure like to get a pkt of seeds. I do have a few seedlings here, but the color intensity varies and not all will be show stoppers. BTW this is not a good container vine and it takes a lot of room. Foget 6 foot spacing in a trellis row. I've seen the shoots grow over 24 feet in one season from budbreak.

• ian_wa
    15 years ago

In my experience (contrary to some references) it's easily grown from hardwood cuttings as well (taken late fall right after the leaves drop off). Why not take cuttings of a superior plant?

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd love to get cuttings of a good rich red fall color vine , if anyone would be willing to share. I have a lot of seedlings and they are just starting to turn color. Some may be awsome, but some look like they will go from green to dull tan w/o visiting the riotous reds and oranges. I also have a few Purpurea, but really like the leaf colors of Coignetiae better.
    Purpurea is ok in a container though and more manageable.

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another cousin of the Vitis Coignetiae is V. Davidii, the spiny stemmed vitis. I cannot find a seed source anywhere, and the few nurseries that have it are out of state.
    Does anybody on the list have it?
    I'd be glad to trade a seedling of V. Coignetiae.

• ian_wa
    15 years ago

Valley Nursery in Poulsbo carried this last summer. I think I saw it at one other nursery too, though I can't remember where. Probably one of the wholesale nurseries in Oregon is producing it. I'd like one as well but I'm waiting for a cheaper one.

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip.
    I'll contact them.
    Know right where they are.

Boizeau

• melindanorcal
    14 years ago

Help...not having too much luck locating a place to purchase this beautiful vine. I live in Northern California and am looking to plant about a 200ft area. Many thanks