Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach tree in rainy zone?

Posted by ahahaha none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 16:47

I live at the Cascade foothills, about 400 ft elevation and we get about a foot more rain a year than Seattle. What are my chances of being successful with a peach tree? Perhaps on the south side of our barn? Some of the varieties I'm considering: Frost, Avalon Pride, Betty Peach, and Indian Free Peach. Anyone have luck with peach trees in the somewhat wetter areas of Western Washington without a ton of maintenance work?

I have cherry, plum, apple, and pear planted. Apples and plums do well; cherries are hit and miss. I'm trying to determine my chances of a peach tree not just getting too wet and dying.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach tree in rainy zone?

LOL! at even a foot more than Seattle, that's not an excessive amount of rain compared to some areas of the country. Atlanta, considered the peach growing capital of the US, averages around 50" annually....and that's spread out relatively evenly throughout the year. At least in the PNW, the majority of our rainfall occurs from late fall through spring, leaving our summers - and peach ripening season - pretty dry.

As long as the tree is planted where it has decent drainage and plenty of sun, you should be fine. And I would limit my choice to the Frost peach or Avalon Pride. These are varieties bred to do well in our cool summer climate and disease encouraging weather. Both will ripen with cooler temps and are resistant to leaf curl. Haven't tried the Avalon personally but Frost produces a delicious fruit.

o

My frost produced delicious fruit for 2 years. Then it succumbed to something that turned all the leaves and stems black and it died within a season. My area is WET. 800' elevation, near the Oregon border, above Vernonia.

o

I've had good luck with Frost, and it sounds like I'm in a similar situation although you might be at a higher elevation. We're in the foothills between Orting and South Prairie. I've been growing two Frost trees for several years here (maybe 12 years). The trees suffer most springs from a fungus or something that causes the leaves to curl, but they get past that. And they took a real beating with the freezing rain a year ago. But generally I get a heavy crop of peaches every other year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here