Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Bougainvillea

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 16:54

I have a Raspberry Ice Bougainvillea in a pot and right now it is very pretty and healthy looking but I haven't had flowers this summer. Last winter I left it in the unheated greenhouse and it survived but wasn't happy. Would it be happier being treated as a house plant during the winter?

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Ice Bougainvillea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Bougainvillea

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 22:46

I'd expect it to hate being inside a house.

o

I heat my greenhouse and they weren't very happy but they lived.

o
blooming

To get them to flower, let them get really dry between waterings.

Yours is lovely, mine are much more scraggly.

o

Thanks for the responses. It took almost all summer for the plant to get lush and healthy looking so I thought that if I tried to copy the hawaiian environment (without the sun of course!) by bringing it into my garden room it might rebound sooner in the springtime. I will do what you suggest -- let it dry out between waterings. I wish I didn't lust after these wonderful tropical plants!

o

I doubt your house duplicates a Hawaiian environment. House interiors are fine for us cave dwellers, but they're too dark and too dry for most all plants. Our eyes adjust quickly to the relative darkness so we don't notice it, but the plants sure as heck do. And heating systems dry the air to desert levels, dehydrating leaves and encouraging mites.

A greenhouse could work, but not a house.

o

I have overwintered my bouganvillea in the home, east window and it did ok. I share your tropical cravings!

o

I kept one for a few years, overwintering indoors in the brightest spot in the house -- a large obstructed east-facing window in the living room. A south-facing window would be better. It won't be happy indoors but it'll live until next spring. It may lose many of its leaves but will recover. Consider treating it with a mild insecticide before bring it indoors as you may bring in hitchhikers.... one aphid will multiply into millions in just a few weeks. Don't forget to treat the soil & pot, also.

(I killed mine one winter when I left it out too long.)

o

Last year we had excellent success in overwintering several Bougainvillea plants. Close to first frost, we cut them back to about 12" in diameter and moved the pots to the garage, little or no light, temps averaging 55 degrees (Indians - garage attached, but not heated). Watered very lightly twice so as to keep dormant and not promote growth. When frost was past in the spring, moved back out to patio and had amazing plants.

o

I've overwintered mine for a couple years now the exact same way, same temps, perhaps a skosh more water. They look dead by spring but come back nicely every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here