Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone planting garlic yet?

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 17:40

We're going down to 33 F at night, but up to 70 F (in the shade; a lot warmer in the sun) in the daytime. Too early for the garlic to go in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone planting garlic yet?

I read from a garlic farm's, news letter that you should plant after the first light frost of the year. But, I had already planted mine when I read that. I think I will just have to mulch them to protect them, since the leaves have really started to sprout.

o

A little frost won't hurt the garlic if it's sprouted. It can grow a little all through the winter.

o

I live in coastal Northern California and my garlic is all in. I planted the earliest varieties 9/27 and 9/28 and got the later ones in the week before last. Saw the first green tip in the early beds yesterday. We have had no rain, but may get some this weekend.

Keeping fingers crossed.

o

I planted mine yesterday. At our altitude, 1100 feet, they shouldn't sprout before the first frost which usually occurs the last of October or the first part of November.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 12:31

Got mine in yesterday (10/16/12) since it wasn't raining, and the temperature extremes seem to have evened out: 11 varieties.

Anyone plant shallots? I have a little space left and thought I'd pick up some from the Co-Op and plant them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here