Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zephyrgal_gw

what to do here?

zephyrgal
9 years ago

Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig dogwood, or? The slope is rather steep and rocky yet irrigation is available. Facing East and surrounded by mature Sitka Spruces. Currently, a grounds crew weed eats during the summer. Anyone with ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

• Lily777
    9 years ago

Salal is very slow growing, but is great for erosion control eventually. It can hold that slope up with its extensive root system. You could mix it up with some heaths/heathers and dwarf rhodies.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The spruces and ferns indicate it is moist, so fast-growing damp ground shrubs such as red-twig dogwood and nine-bark may be possible. Maybe you should hire a consultant to work up a planting plan, since sword ferns indicate an intermediate condition you may be able to plant a broad range of native shrubs for maximum interest (and likelihood of success).

Note that any planting will require weeding, both during the establishment phase when the new plants are small and later, when kinds like alders, blackberries, hollies and cotoneasters will seed in among the established shrubs, have to be pulled out.

Unless site conditions are producing small crowns the spruces will of course in time become much larger than they are now, going by the one that shows in your picture.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

I would go fern wild here. And natives are always a good choice!

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I also posted my query on the Landscape forum and have received several replies. As a seasoned gardener I'm intuned to plants and their purposes but I like to pick other's brains for ideas that I may not come up with. Thanks again.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I would plant native Sword Fern and use them like a rock wall, starting at the bottom and working up. You indicated your place is for sale and native ferns in your area are easily obtained. The price is right! They are not too difficult to dig if you use a sharp shovel.
    Now, and all through winter, is the time to transplant them. Once planted cut the fronds off and leave them be as a mulch. Knowing you are going to cut the fronds off will enable you to use them as a handle when working with them and no damage will be done. You can use woodchips or ground up bark as a cosmetic coating if you wish. In the spring the ferns will sprout, giving you a nice, quick, functional, addition to your landscape. Vinca minor can be planted in with the ferns, if you have it, for added benefit of holding the soil and looks.
    I've done it a number of times and it works just fine.
    Mike

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mike, I was hoping you would have an idea or two. This is not the property that's for sale, but the large garden in Wheeler is. We're just across the river from Wheeler. There's plenty of ferns and salal around. The difficulty is the degree of the slope, I may have to lean a ladder just to keep myself from sliding down. As always, anytime you guys are down this way, please stop in for a visit. Thanks.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I talked about shrubs because that's what you asked about. Otherwise the sword fern is an obvious candidate because there is one already visible in your picture.

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bboy. Shrubs, ferns, groundcovers, a mix, would likely work. Just asking for ideas, suggestions. Not an easy area for planting or working the ground.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The ferns could be used to make a pattern across the slope.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Have you considered digging a terrace for ease of access? Just a thought.

• boxofrox
    9 years ago

My hill looked a lot like yours before I started. I took three to four man rocks and interspersed them with planting pockets of various types of shrubs and groundcovers. You start by cutting a shelf for each rock/boulder and then randomly place. They not only help provide structural support but they make it easier to create a natural looking tapestry.

Here's a few afters....my befores got lost a few puter crashes ago

{{gwi:670944}}

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow boxofrox! Nicely done. Thanks for the ideas.

• fernfarmer
    9 years ago

Salal is useful for holding a slope, but ONLY if it's not your only planting. If you don't combine it with plants with deeper or denser roots, when the conditions are right, the salal will actually make things worse, helping to pull down your slope since all its roots are at the same level. Sadly, I know this from experience. We didn't get that advice until after our slide happened and we went out and hired a very expensive consultant to help us figure out how to prevent future slides. You want to mix in a few trees (even small ones) and shrubs that are more likely to have deep roots and some other plants, like sword ferns, that have nice dense roots. Salal alone is a recipe for disaster.

• julieotoole
    9 years ago

My garden is full of such slopes. I planted several ceanothus (Victoria) and they grow beautifully and robustly and disguise/cover the slope within a year or two --much faster than salal or heathers/heaths. They are glorious in bloom and evergreen the rest of the year. I am zone 8 (-) up at 1600 ft on Chehalem Mt. outside Portland area.

• zephyrgal pacific nw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the recent comments. So far a mix of plants has been planted. I'll check into the ceanothus.

• Kristin
    9 years ago

OT: Boxofrox, what is the lovely golden grass in your photos? Center front in the second pic. THanks!

• daphne_in_tacoma
    9 years ago

Boxofrox: Thanks so much for your great photos. I love what you've done and have pinned to my garden album. I have a tall, terraced berm that needs replanting, and I'm going to use some of your planting ideas, especially the ceonothus. I'd love to see more photos if you have some.

• boxofrox
    9 years ago

Sorry guys.....took me a while to figger out the new joint here and still not sure how to post pics. Now that I've at least gotten back on maybe I can catch up on how to post pics etc.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living