Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Grove Compost?

Posted by hil721 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 18:34

I've heard really mixed reviews on Cedar Grove compost. Does anyone have any personal experiences with it good or bad? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Grove Compost?

It depends on the source :-) For whatever reason, product purchased or delivered direct from the facility seems to have better results than does any bagged CG compost. Perhaps it is just that the bagged stuff becomes anaerobic too easily....? Besides, for my purposes, bagged anything is just too expensive.

Most municipal yard waste composting operations put out pretty decent stuff due to the size of their operations and the amount of activity they receive. CG is one of the few that is routinely tested for not only pesticides and pathogens but for consistency and uniformity of product as well. Sure, you get a few bits and bobs of noncompostable materials mixed in but that's our fault as shoddy recyclers - when we all learn to recycle properly, that will no longer be an issue.

As to the material generating weeds, any compost can do that. It is not so much a case of the compost itself containing weed seeds - the commercial composting process is hot enough to negate that problem - it is just that compost is a very fertile seed bed and many/most weed seeds are wind-disbursed. They hit that compost and germination is a given!!

In my business I have used a number of different bulk compost providers and have my favorites but I have never encountered issues with Cedar Grove that were not present in any of the others. If it was most convenient for my purposes, I'd use it again in a heartbeat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here