Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small tree(s) for screening

Posted by calvert 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 19:37

Hi -

I've lost 2 Japanese Maples to the tragedy of verticillium wilt and am trying to find replacement trees (or shrubs) that will screen the views of my neighbor's bedroom. I'm not fond of conifers (and would like something with a moderate to fast growth rate) and really only need screening during the summer from a height of 6' (top of adjacent fence) to 12-15' . That would allow some planting underneath the tree. Also the yard is small so I'm hoping for something not super spreading - or if so, something that spreads above head height. The site gets mostly sun.

My shortlist thus far is:
Katsura 'Heronswood Globe'
Manzanita 'Dr. Hurd'
Mt. Ash 'Rowan' or 'Cashmiriana'
Honeylocust 'Skyline' or 'Sunburst'

If anyone has opinions on these or others that might fit the bill, I'd greatly appreciate the advice. Also, if there are good nurseries for these near Portland that would be great to know also.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small tree(s) for screening

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 21:37

If it was definitely verticillium then you have the problem of the planting site being infested. Replacement trees will have to be chosen for verticillium resistance.

o

Based on a VW list from UC Davis I believe all of those plants are resistant, thanks.

o

Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 13:21

Rowan is a common name used for Sorbus aucuparia in Britain. This and any non-dwarf honeylocust will grow much taller than 15'. Except for the bushiness of the 'Heronswood Globe' there is nothing about any of those listed that makes them particularly suitable for screening. You might instead like to look at the hedges and screening lists in the plant selection guide part of the Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK (2007, Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park) for other possibilities.

o

You might want to check Portland Nursery (Stark St.) and Garden Fever (24th & Fremont) in Portland.
You can call or email them. Both places have very helpful staff.

o

Try thinking large shrub rather than small tree when space is limited.

o

Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 12:32

Yes, 12'-15' is shrub height.

o

I found this list of small trees suitable for under power lines. They would also be suitable for gardens. Please, note that even "small" trees get quite large.

o

Thanks for everyone's input - most helpful. I decided to go with a Katsura although I read that they're fussy to transplant. We'll see.....

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 23:39

I've transplanted hundreds of Katsuras. I find them to be easy. Just do it when they are dormant and you will have no problems given normal good transplant procedures.
Mike....not Ann
Large leaved Katsura,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here