Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanna turn my yellow Hick's Yew green

Posted by goofyisgreen Z8 PacNW (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 19:39

I bought what I learned was a "Hick's Yew" (columnar), about 4 feet tall from a blowout sale from a nursery that was relocating, at bargain price.

When I bought it, it was root-bound, wrapped in a burlap ball in a "clay" type of soil. The needles are well-developed, firmly attached. It's a nice-looking plant EXCEPT it is yellow, rather than green (I originally thought it was a golden yew).

It looks, and acts healthy. Just seeking some advice, now that it's planted, about transforming that yellowish tinge to the more appropriate deep green of the Hick's Yew.

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanna turn my yellow Hick's Yew green

Monrovia describes Hick's as "glossy dark green." So one thought is wrong label.

Please post images so we can see what's going on.

If you need help with that, look here:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 13:39

Discolored yews are common here. It will always mean there is something wrong with the plant. Maybe yours just needs to be fertilized (with nitrogen) or maybe it has root rot. As a rule yews need excellent drainage, although I was just in an area (Diablo Lake) where there are Pacific yews growing just above a flood zone.

o
Or maybe

it has a magnesium deficiency. As always, you do need to get a pretty good idea what the specific problem is before you can expect your response to solve it.

You could try applying a granular fertilizer formulated and sold for use on evergreen trees and shrubs to see if there is any greening. Do it now, before the soil is chilled by winter cold and nitrogen becomes less available.

o

When your shrubs turn yellow it means it needs fertilizer, but if the needles are falling off or getting tan, your shrub is a gone. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hicks Yew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here