Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sedum autumn joy 'flops' and 'dishes'

Posted by newgeneral z8WA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 20:41

True to its reputation, sedum autumn joy is easy to grow and adds beautiful color to my fall garden, but how do I keep it from forming a flopping "bowl"? I cut it back to the ground each spring. By fall I have tall growth around the outside of the plant that ends up flopping over after it blooms, revealing much shorter, newer growth in the center of the plant. Does sedum need to be divided yearly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sedum autumn joy 'flops' and 'dishes'

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 22:21

It does that when it has been left alone for too long. You need to dig and divide it every several years.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 22:41

Shading could also be a factor. As a side note translation autumn joy is often used here but cultivar name is correctly 'Herbstfreude'. Same as with human names cultivar names do not change when the plant enters a country speaking a different language.

o

Sedums prefer lean soil - that is, soil that is not overly fertile - even sandy or rocky - no fertilizing and only enough water to keep them hydrated. Flopping often occurs when the plant is grown in enriched soil preferred by other perennial plantings or in less than full sun. It will also benefit from being pinched or cut back a couple of times earlier in the growing season. I've not found dividing to be necessary very often, in fact I can't recall the last time mine were divided. This is a plant that will benefit from tough love rather than too much attention :-)

o

Mine doesn't flop. The deer make sure that it never gets too tall! They teased me by just nibbling on it earlier in the year but as soon as it was close to flowering, it is eaten quite raggedly.

o

Cisco says to cut it back by half in May or June, I forget which. I also forgot to do it......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here