Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which grass seed to plant in new lawn

Posted by sujam none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 21:00

I am preparing to plant grass seed in my lawn.I have prepared the ground. Which grass seed should I buy? The spot is 500 sq ft, part of it is in sun and part in shade. I live in Seattle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which grass seed to plant in new lawn

A blend that is mostly Perennial Ryegrass is the lawn of chaoce in the Northwest. It is normally blended with smaller anouts of fescue. I noticed tht there are now "Nortwest Blends" for sale.

o

here is a good cheap example:

Here is a link that might be useful: northwest supreme

o

this one has a bit more going on:

Here is a link that might be useful: pdx mix

o

Most local retail garden centers will have lawn seed blends suitable for a variety of PNW growing conditions. They will be various combinations of fescues and perennial ryegrasses. The fescues tend to be much more shade tolerant than the ryes, so look for a blend that features them. These are often labeled as directly as "shady lawn mix" :-)

Ryegrass requires more sun to thrive but tends to hold up better to foot traffic. Fescues also tend to be more drought tolerant than the ryes, another reason blends featuring these seeds thrive in shadier areas under high tree canopies.

o

I used one of the "eco lawns" in a previous home. I really liked the clover for it's year round green colour and nitrogen fixing attributes. However, I did not like the yarrow - it just doesnt blend. It seemed to grow bigger and faster than grass and clover and looked unsightly ( insert eye of beholder caveat)

I am installing a lawn and will likely overseed with white clover which you can buy seperately from a lawn mix.

o

yarrow seems to work well if mow height is very high. looks good in athletic fields with english daisy, clover, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here