Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirlwa8

Raspberry suggestions

flowergirlwa8
14 years ago

My raspberries are out of control. For various reasons, my beds have grass growing under the canes. I am going to redo beds in another area. Was thinking of a raised bed 2'x8'. The canes I have now are not great producers. They are pass along, pass along, so I don't know what kind I have. I am looking for suggestions for good raspberries for my area. I live between Tumwater and Tenino. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jackie

Comments (13)

• dottyinduncan
    14 years ago

I don't like everbearing rasps. I have both main crop and everybearing, and the main crop are wonderful. Big, juicy and lovely. I have a short row of everbearing and they are bearing now but the berries are smaller, seedier, not so flavourful and it is the wrong time of year for rasps. If it gets cold or rainy they go mouldy. I like the main crop ones -- eat your heart out, give them away, freeze the rest or make jam and that's it. I've been mulching mine with grass clippings and wood chips and it has kept the weeds and grass down. I don't have a recommendation to variety.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

We are growing Tulameen quite a large raspberry. I have them growing horizontally weaved along wire strung from T bars at each end of the bed.
    The new canes are allowed to grow in the middle of the bed between the wires. When the old canes are cut out after harvest the new canes are then weaved around the wires.

Growing them horizontally gives you more fruit in a small space, easier to pick too.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulameen Raspberries

• briergardener_gw
    14 years ago

aftermidnight, can you post a picture your raspberry bed close to see have you weave canes around wires?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Brier you're in luck, we took these pics to show another who was asking a year or so ago and they are still in our photo album. This was a fairly new bed maybe 2 years old.

{{gwi:117733}}

{{gwi:117736}}

{{gwi:117738}}

If needed you can tie the woven canes down in spots if you think they need it. The spreader board in the middle is to keep the T-bars from being pulled inward when the wire is tightened. I don't have a picture of the bed when it is laden with fruit, I really should take one. I'm really taken with this European way of growing Raspberries.

Annette

• flowergirlwa8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Annette, that is quite a set up you have there. Thanks for the suggestion on variety.
    Jackie

• boizeau
    14 years ago

I like the fall bearing types, especially Amity, which isn't productive, but tastes very good. You just cut them to the ground in November and they fruit on one year old wood. I'd be suspicious of old 'traded over the fence' raspberries, since it is a fruit that comes down with virus over time. Best to get the plants from a certified Nursery like Spooners or some reputable retail outlet.

• flowergirlwa8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boizeau, like dottinduncan the everbearing fruit too late here. I only got a few this year before the frost hit. I buy Spooners strawberries every year from the stands, I didn't know they had a nursery outlet. Thanks for the info.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

Autumn Bliss is a good two weeks earlier than Heritage, and Amity is about one week earlier. You need to make sure you prune them to the ground each fall, after harvest, or the fruit season on the primocanes will be delayed by diverting energy into the june crop.
    You can't have it both ways.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Fallred - 1964, New Hampshire. Earlier than Heritage, better size,flavor and firmness

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Fruits--Raspberries

• flowergirlwa8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow bboy, thanks for the link. I had no idea there were so many different raspberries we could raise here. Well my husband's favorite fruit is raspberries. I have decided to do two beds, one for June, one for Aug. That way he can eat off the canes most of the summer. Thanks so much for everyone's help.
    Jackie

• tallclover
    14 years ago

If I only had one raspberry to plant it would be Tulameen, handsdown! The canes are strong, hold the berry well, low mildew factor and the berries taste as sweet as can be, oh and I forgot; they're HUGE berries. I'll add a link to photos of my homegrown berries. There's a gold berry too, called Amber Queen that I like, though much more subtle in its flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Homegrown Tulameen Raspberries

• flowergirlwa8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tallclover, you have a wonderful site. Now all I want to do is eat those raspberries. It will definately be Tulameen for me. How big of a space do you have? How long and wide are your rows? Will a 2'x8' bed be enough to supply two very, very hungry raspberry eaters? lol. How many plants should I get? I know a lot of questions, sorry.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

There is also the Korean Wineberry. It has beautiful fruit and is great for the winter landscape. Flavor is a bit neutral, but good. I like it better than black cap raspberries which it grows like.