Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great Plant Pick

Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 21:25

Today I finally noticed that the conspicuously variegated Phyllostachys bamboos I've been walking past for months while shopping Molbak's are the sensational 'Richard Haubrich' cultivar. This has to be the most spectacular hardy bamboo on the market, its leaves sometimes nearly all white.

They've had a row of the much less variegated P. bambusoides 'Albovariegata' right next to them, I read one of the tags for that one once and was left mistakenly thinking they were all this same kind.

Apart from the specialness of this plant what made it a great pick is bamboos are currently 30% off there, which in the case of this item translates into a reduction of nearly 30 dollars. Doubly special!

When I shopped for this on the internet when first aware of it some years ago I think the lowest price I saw was over 300 dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Richard Haubrich'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great Plant Pick

Holy moly! That's gorgeous, thanks for the info.
- Tom

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 13:46

Molbak's also had this, but I am already growing what I assume to be the 'I' form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparing different forms of Jiuzhaigou

o

So, did you buy one? Who's producing them?

I have Jiuzhaigou I as well - but I've sort of neglected it. the last form described on that page sounds cool.

o

Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 23:32

Yes: I "picked" it. Although I'm not planning to re-sell it. Since it's destined for Camano Island and I've already had two other forms of timber bamboo get cold damage there this Precious will be going into the greenhouse for the winter.

The winter that may make some of us give up, if predictions are borne out.

o
RE: Great Plant Pick Source

Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 23:37

I was told there is an enthusiastic grower in Oregon that provided these. The current price at Molbak's is so good, as far as it goes that anyone in the area and interested in the variety should just get one of theirs. They are in 5 gallon pots, with canes maybe around 4' high - perhaps more.

o

I've been kind of phasing out bamboos since I moved to Sequim. I had 99 kinds at one point when I lived on Bainbridge Island. I might have to leave a spot for this one, but I'm not buying it until I'm ready to plant it.

o

Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 20:18

Apparently the one set of Molbak Fargesia are this one, today I went out there for the cider tasting and took a closer look at the labels on this bamboo. They had "2" after the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou' II

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here