Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Passion vine

Posted by jujustad Wa Cascades 8? (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 21:40

I am planting my first passion Vine and would like to know from someone that has one if I should plant it with a root barrier. I think that I am at the edge of it's growth area but I don't want another garden thug...currently fighting vinca thank you very much! Also, should I cover it with something this first winter? Any other passion vine advice would be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Passion vine

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 10:31

Plant on sunny south-facing wall, with netting or trellis to twine on. If horrified at prospect of possible underground runners then root barrier might be a good idea. Mulch after planting to minimize frost penetration and maximize prospect of successful establishment, mulching of beds should be routine anyway.

Intense winter is forecast, perhaps worst in over 50 years. If plant fails this time try again later. Wait to write off and discard until well into summer, new top growth from roots may be tardy and feeblish at first.

o

I had one several years under a deck, facing south, it did well blooming but didn't fruit. A couple of winters ago it didn't make it.

P. incarnata, Maypop, named apparently because it dies to the roots and pops out in May, is hardier than P caerulea and can have an edible fruit.

o

Thanks so much for the info! I hope to plant it this weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here