Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
north side of ranch plants

Posted by eeldip north portland (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 21:50

my new house is a low ranch. there is a pretty wide band of the front beds that is shaded by the house (bright shade?) for the entire day. but for months in the summer, that same position is going to be full sun.

i haven't planted anything in that band yet. i wonder if there are plants well adapted to 1/2 year full sun 1/2 year shade... since the shade is not during much of the growing season i should just look for full sun?

plus: i don't want to water this bed...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: north side of ranch plants

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 3:17

Yes, the summer sun will be more limiting than the winter shade - it will have to be sun tolerant plants.

o

good, that was my assumption as well. just never had this position before. THANKS!

o

UPDATE: I now have two shrubs in this position. Went for plants listed as sun AND shade tolerant-- and love dry.

Correa backhouseana and Hakea lissosperma. Some hardiness concerns with the Correa, but I couldn't pass up the flowers.

now just looking for some filler. probably grass.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 20:06

Have you considered hellebores? They tolerate more sun that people think & are drought tolerant once established.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here