Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

OT -- Roof Moss

dawiff
13 years ago

I'm sure some of you native PNWers can help me out with this problem. We are starting to get a little moss buildup on the northern side of our porch roof. I bought some Moss Out that you hook up to the hose to spray on it to kill it. The porch has gutters, so the runoff will go into the gutters. But just in case of any accidental overspray, what will it do to any plants growing in the bed near the porch? Do I need to be really careful with it?

Comments (15)

• jean001
    13 years ago

Here's a link to the label which should have that info
    http://www.lillymiller.com/labels/LillyMiller/09603100.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: lily miller moss out for roofs

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

Any chance you can put a strip of galvanized metal on the ridge to stop moss from growing in the future?

• Patrick888
    13 years ago

I just had my roof reshingled. The roofer claimed that unless the metal strip (zinc was the metal of choice) was quite wide, its effectiveness would diminish considerably the farther you get from the metal. I will wait & treat moss when it appears.

A year ago I had an embarrassing amount of moss. I used a granular moss killer that I sprinkled on the roof. It was very effective and I had no plant damage whatsover. I would favor that over a liquid spray, which could be a lot harder to keep just on the roofing.

• dawiff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I considered the granular stuff, but the husband and I are both major-league physical klutzes, and neither one of us wanted to climb off the ladder onto the roof to sprinkle. It's a sure thing that it would end badly.

I think I will just use the hose and try to be as careful as possible. Nice to know the stuff actually works though.

• jean001
    13 years ago

It was said: "The roofer claimed that unless the metal strip (zinc was the metal of choice) was quite wide, its effectiveness would diminish considerably the farther you get from the metal."

That's true with whatever width strip one uses. The trick is to have a strip every 16 or 18 inches or so.

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

When I had a roof put on years ago I had the roofers install a zinc strip alot the roof peaks. Half of the strip ended up under shingle so was not exposed to rainfall. The other half seemed to be quite ineffective.

• sairy_gamp
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm considering installing a zinc or galvanized strip on my roof peak to control moss on the asphalt shingles.

I am concerned the runoff will kill plant leaves under the roof dripline.

Any experience with using moss strips safely?

(I have used potassium salts previously, and the runoff killed vegetation within days. I want to be sure metal strips won't cause a chronic problem like this.)

Thanks a bunch for your advice.

• lotta_plants
    12 years ago

We use cheep laundery soap to keep the moss clear. It does a good job of it.

• laurell
    12 years ago

I've heard on one of the home care radio shows (and my mother who is visiting looked over to see the topic I was reading and said "Use laundry detergent!") was to use laundry detergent. Just sprinkle some on and it should kill moss. Just try to avoid the roof while it's slick!

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Will the detergent get rid of lichen?
    And are you all sprinkling dry powder detergent or sprinkling the liquid detergent? full strength?

• lotta_plants
    12 years ago

Plantkknitter, We just you the powder kind, just put it on when it is dry out for safety

• dottyinduncan
    12 years ago

It looks terrible for a few months, patchy where the dead stuff is, but given enough of our winter rains, it gets better.

• toymkr
    12 years ago

I've used zinc strips on my roof for years and they were only effective for about 18" below in some areas. Along one hip the damned moss is growing out from under the zinc so my cut on it is that it is a total waste of time and effort. I've used a powdered zinc and copper dust that is quite effective and lasts a couple of years but am going to try the laundry detergent this fall to see how that works.

• fireweed_1947
    12 years ago

Powdered detergent works quite well. Just ignore anyone who makes a comment about your roof. This is a BAD year for moss. Lawn OR roof.

• asile
    12 years ago

A noob question: As someone who hasn't had to deal with a mossy roof, I'm wondering whether it's solely an aesthetic problem, or does it also cause some kind of unwanted damage to the roof itself? (A house across the street just had its mildly mossy roof professionally treated, and I've been wondering about it.)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths