Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Danged raccoons!!!!

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 22:05

Went out to the orchard this afternoon and found another young fruit tree broken and all of the fruit gone. I already lost a plum tree the same way. Given the spindliness of the branches, I'm sure it was raccoons. What pests! On the good side, they left my pears alone and they have been absolutely wonderful, huge, juicy and very tasty. There wasn't a large crop, it was too cold when the flowers were on the trees but the limited number of fruit meant that the pears were very large. We had our best apple trees pruned so once again, didn't have a big crop but the ones that are there are just great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Danged raccoons!!!!

They don't bother our garden much but the destruction in my ponds and water gardens is so bad that I've decided to dump out all of my containers and give up. I've got an electric fence around the fish pond a door on the greenhouse and metal covers over three ponds in front and that will be it. I'm just done.

o
RE: Danged raccoons!!!!

This year i placed marshmallows dusted with cayenne pepper under my grapes as soon as i saw that raccoons were visiting.
Some of marshmallows disappered next morning.
Not sure because of this or some other reason, raccoons were gone and we were able to keep grapes till they fully ripe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here