Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will purple heucheras take full sun?

Posted by flowerfan2 z8/ WA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 22:11

I would like to plant some purple/red leaved mounding plants that go dormant in the winter in a full sun bed. Would huecheras do ok in full sun, or do they have to have shade? Any suggestions if huecheras won't work? I do have some purple plantains that do ok in full sun. I have tried a purple leaf salvia in full sun and it has not done well. What are your experiences with huechera in full sun in the PNW? Thanks. Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will purple heucheras take full sun?

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 23:32

Some of mine will take part sun, but really don't like the full afternoon sun...I planted a CanCan and a Green Spice that will get mostly sun next year...We'll see how that goes...But I think Palace Purple will go just about anywhere...Maybe someone else knows??

o

As long as soil conditions are good and they receive adequate watering, most any heuchera will grow well here in full sun. In fact, with the exception of the chartreuse and yellow cultivars which would prefer a bit of afternoon shade, they tend to grow and color up better in full sun, especially the deep purple cultivars that can lose color in too much shade. Remember, PNW sun is not nearly as intense as it is in much of the rest of the country.

I grow a couple dozen different cultivars of heucheras and most of mine receive considerable sun. Good soil and sufficient water seems to be the key for their success and longevity. Dan Heims of Terra Nova Nursery, responsible for the introduction of scores of new heucheras in a rainbow of colors, recommends full to part sun for virtually all cultivars.

o

Thanks Gardengal and knotz. I will plant them out in full sun today. I have great Puyallup valley soil and I will give them extra water in the summer, so it sounds like they will do very well there. Thanks again. Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here