Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental and No Mow Lawn grasses

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 22:43

I think it's getting a little late in fall to sow these, but what do you think about sowing the No Mow Lawn grasses from Prairie Nursery at this point? The saleswoman I talked to there thought I could but the temps are supposed to stay above 55*F for a month and I don't know that I can hope for that.

I'm also interested in growing Sporobolus heterolepis - Prairie Dropseed, and Bouteloua curtipendula - Sideoats Grama. I'm not sure if they actually would do well here, and also if it is too late in the fall to sow them outdoors as well. I could wait until after frost so they would stay dormant until spring, or try winter-sowing some in containers, or start some by planting them in pots then chilling them a couple of months in the refrigerator. Any opinions or experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental and No Mow Lawn grasses

i have had bad luck establishing lawns from seed this late. the lower temperatures lead to bad germination.

in my experience, mid to late september is best, although you have to be on top of watering.

before ordering your seed, you might want to try giving sunmark seeds a call. they have a lot of interesting alternative lawn mixes that are formulated for the northwest.

prairie nursery does not share what seed is actually IN their mix. which sort of bugs me.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunmark seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here