Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketwomen

lemon tree

rocketwomen
18 years ago

I would like to grow a lemon tree, am not sure which type to buy and if in fact I can grow one in the northwest that will produce. I have an olive tree in a pot which does very well so maybe there is hope. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

rocket..yes you can most definatrly grow a lemon tree in the NW. I live in Enumclaw Wa. and I have several Citrus tree's.I have (2) Lemons & Lime & Cara Cara Orange & Rio Red Grapefruit & Satsuma Mandarin & Honey Murcott Tangerine & a few Kumquats.I grow them in my greenhouses that I keep on the cool side.But many people grow them in theur homes here also.As long as you have a south facing window that gets several hours a day of light your good to go! And you keep the inside temperature around 65 degree's inside. For this you'll most definately want a dwarf citrus for container growing.And after a few years they produce well.I would buy a (2 to 3) year old dwarf Lemon tree. And this way you'll possibly have some fruit the following year. I buy my Citrus from Four Winds Growers in California. They sell dwarf citrus.Their site is very informative also.If you'd like to view them they are at:www.fourwindsgrowers.com ***Suzanne

• newgeneral
    18 years ago

I have grown citrus for years. The trees stay in my unheated greenhouse/sunroom in the winter, and go outside in the summer. There is a citrus forum on Gardenweb that can be really helpful. It is not unusual for local nurseries to carry a few citrus plants. I live north, and have purchased from Bakerview in Bellingham, and Christiansons in the Skagit Valley. I have also purchased from Four Winds my mail. I currently have a minneola tangelo, an improved meyer lemon and a lime. BTW, I also am now growing a few banana trees! Citrus are so fun to grow. In fruit or flower almost all the time, they rewarding. And it is pretty great to be able to pick a lemon off your own tree when you need one.

One piece of advice: When your plants are indoors you should mist them often. Spider mites are a big problem, but they are reluctant to establish themselves on plants that get wet. If you do get an infestation, forget the pyrethrin sprays -- hose your plants off regularly.

Good luck!

• melodiek
    18 years ago

YAHOO. planning to move from So. Cal. to bellingham, wa. We have 3 orange trees, lemons, limes, grapefruit, peach, and plum trees---didn't sound like you could grow them in bellingham---I now have hope!! I currently, have about 100 plants in pots--may be a litttlllle hard to move all of them. THANK YOU