Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild or weed??

Posted by MzMolly65 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 0:44

Anyone recognize this? It was growing by the road and I'm uncertain if it's a wild flower or a weed. I collected seeds from it but won't plant them until I can I.D. the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild or weed??

Sorry, don't know how to post more than one pic at a time so here's more.

Is it Silene latifolia (White Campion?)

o
RE: Wild or weed??

Well, maybe either that or silene vulgaris, bladder campion. Just looking at a book on PNW native plants in the wildflower section, I read that the white campion is similar to silene vulgaris but that the difference is that the white campion has male and female flowers on separate plants and has blooms with 2 lobed petals and 5 styles.

The vulgaris has petals that are deeply 2 lobed at tip and there are usually 3 styles.

I can't tell from looking at the picture; does the bloom have both male and female parts on it?

At any rate, they are both native to Europe and are an introduced perennial. They seem to be most everywhere in the US.

They grow from a taproot; whether it will be invasive, I don't know. My definitions are: If you like it, it's a flower. If you don't, it's a weed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here