Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

How Do You Handle Plants That Like Boggy Conditions?

dawiff
14 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what to do with a couple of perennials that like wet feet -- Hibiscus 'Luna Swirl' and Lobelia cardinalis. I had these two plants at my Massachusetts garden, and the only way I could get them to return after our harsh New England winter was to plant them in an artificial bog. I basically dug out about two feet of soil, lined the area with black plastic which I then stabbed several times with a pitchfork, and then replaced the soil on top of the plastic. This worked great in that climate.

However, I'm not sure how well that will work here. Will I end up with a gloppy, soupy mess in the winter? The soil is basically sand, so it drains really well. Should I just plant them and then give them lots of extra water in the dry months?

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Much of the east is wetter than here. Maybe you are thinking where you were the winter precipitation is not as high as here, although I wonder if that is actually the case. Since your soil is sandy the mini-bog idea might pay off.

If your lobelia has purple leaves it is a garden hybrid and not the eastern North American native wildflower with green leaves. Purple-leaved hybrids have often been sold as cardinal flower in the past at local outlets. The hybrids can be less hardy, may sometimes disappear in winter even here in Pugetopolis USDA 8.

43 years ago Alan Bloom came out with a book called Moisture Gardening that talked about perennials etc. being planted over plastic to produce a damp soil on his property in England. You might want to look for that one, inexpensive used copies are listed on the internet.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Build a pond! I grow bog plants in container gardens too. With no drainage holes.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

it sounds like a fun experiment to dig a big olde hole and put some liner in there. fill it back in and plant some bog plants.

then again, i live on a sand dune... so digging a hole is a snap here.

i also really like the look of half buried containers. that would be a good use for broken containers, just super glue them back together first.

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just try making the artificial bog. I hadn't realized how easy digging would be in this sandy soil. I planted some perennials the other day, and it was a snap. So much easier than the rocky soil at my previous house back East. I had a pond there as well, which I do miss, but I am thinking in this new garden I'd like to have a disappearing stream/waterfall. Hmm, I like the idea of using a container with no drainage holes too.

Bboy, thanks for the book recommendation, I am going to look for it. The cardinal flower has green leaves, I ordered it online from Bluestone, but I will keep your advice in mind, cause I have seen some with burgundy/purple leaves that I like.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Simple, stick them in your drain field.:-) Am I the only one who still has a drain field? I love well water.

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

I grow them in pots without drain holes.

• botann
    14 years ago

I'm on Water District water and I have a drain field. As far as surface water goes, it's one of the driest places on my property. It works.
    Well water doesn't have floride in it.

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

I have a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub designed for lining half oak barrels. I keep my wetland plants in there - Japanese iris, various mimulus species, mints, manna grass, juncus, duckweed, water lilies ...

I drilled a small hole near the rim to allow excess water to drain out in winter, rather than overflowing and taking plants with it. In summer I have to add water periodically. One year I had tree frog tadpoles in it. I keep hoping for water beetles but none so far.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Good idea, reg. I have a couple of stock tanks I was going to use for a bigger aquaponics system but have enough problems with my smaller system I may turn them into large container grow beds. They could make a small pond or wetland, in or out of the ground.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have five liner ponds, one about 900 gallons the rest smaller. I also have a half whiskey barrel liner sunk into the ground and two full whiskey barrel liners sitting on the ground plus a bunch of pots with no holes. Cheap foam ones from Big Lots mostly.

I have also planted bog plants that can take dry summers like rushes where our downspouts are. Mini rain gardens. Ours were never connected to the sewer like they are in some parts of Portland.

The edges around my liner ponds stay dry. I have to put bog plants in them rather than around them. I pot in mesh pots with pea gravel for many that are in the ponds or right into the rocks in the big pond. I have my waterlilies and iris in clay garden soil and also use clay garden soil in smaller pots.

Now, if only I could keep the &*(%$#@! raccoons out of everything!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting