Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will American Linden do OK in maritime NW

Posted by eukofios 8 Maritime NW (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 12:29

Curious if anyone had grown American Linden (not European or Greenspire) in this climate. Website information is conflicting. I bought a Greenspire Linden this fall, and wanted to add an American Linden. My reasons are nostalgia, and I am starting beekeeping in the Spring. Linden flowers are reported as especially good for honey.

Thanks for comments. I'm pretty sure Greenspire will be OK here (Vancouver WA) because I've seen similar trees around town, but I don't know about American Linden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will American Linden do OK in maritime NW

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:52

Known over 73' tall in Seattle.

o

sounds promising, thanks. i know i wont live to see it that tall. if im licky, maybe 25 feet :)

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 11:32

A neighbor who lives down over the bluff from me came up the other day and warned me about a bear. Seems it was bothering his hives.
I hope you don't have that trouble!
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 13:08

You will be waiting years for a specimen grown from seed to reach flowering size. You might also be interested in this, you will probably want to be sure you have the right species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxicity of Lime Trees

o

bboy thanks for the comments. Really appreciate the precaution. American Linden is Linden americana and Greenspire is Tilia cordata. I think both are not only bee friendly but famous for great honey.

I'm realistic about waiting for bloom. There are lots of other trees, blackberries, and wild flowers while the linden is growing. Plus we have a small orchard, and there are fruit trees in the area, lots of weeks, and bees forage far and wide. The 2 Greenspire trees I bought were ~10 feet tall and with a lot of branches. I think they will bloom next spring. Not a lot of course. I usually don't buy bigger trees, but they were what was available. I don't want to start from seed either - you are right, it takes a long time. I hope there is a happy medium. I saw some 5ft bare root Tilia americana mail order which is what I was thinking about. From your comment about ones in Seattle, I think they will do OK here.

Mike, I hope there are no bears around! They were mentioned at the beekeeping class I went to last week. There are lots of deer here. I am not aware of bears. With edible leaves, the deer might go after the lindens too - I don't know. They didn't eat the leaves of the Greenspire linden I planted in July (I know, bad time but with lots of water it survived until rainy season and the buds look good now) and did go after my plums, so maybe they will be ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia_cordata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia_americana

Here is a link that might be useful: american linden bee tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here