Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristiepdx

Forsythia pruning question.

kristiepdx
12 years ago

In 2010 we bought this house and fell in love with the mature landscape. Over the past year we have learned what many of the plants are and what kind of blooms each has. The elderly woman that lived here sure loved flowers.

In my front yard are 3 HUGE nicely spaced rhodies grouped together in the central yard. Each is over 15 feet tall and have been pruned onto what looks like connected balls. The angle that they were planted looks nice from the street. Actually looks kinda nice once we pruned them up off the ground some and tamed them a bit (took out dead wood ect.)

In the rhodie grouping there is a 4th plant and it is a forsythia. It appears to have been pruned in similar ball shaped fashion (to match and connect on one side with the rhodies). I see that around here that many think they look best when left alone to do their thing. We did not trim the forsythia at all this year. Now it has some branches/whips reaching up to 20ft tall. Looks really odd next to the rhodies. Should I just keep it round and commit the ultimate taboo?

Comments (2)