Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost pine needles and stump sawdust?

Posted by dianelouise PNW (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 15:52

We just had 6 big fir/pine trees removed and stumped. I am trying to clean the area up so we can begin the relandscape design. The amount of mulch material is overwhelming! There is 20 years worth of pine "duff" topped by the sawdust from stumping the trees. Can I compost it all? How would I do that? Normally, I don't like to put pine needles in my compost bin because they take forever to decompose. Is there a good way to compost in place? Thanks in advance for your advise! Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost pine needles and stump sawdust?

Sounds like good mulch to me. It does take forever to decompose and it's fairly acidic, so mulching around rhodies and other acid loving plants would be good. Keep the weeds down and make the plants happy.

Last year I added a wheelbarrow full of maple saw dust to my compost without researching it and turned it into compost mulch. It'll be years before it breaks down, looks good and is very healthy. Before I added the dust, it was extremely healthy compost.

So if you really want to use it in your compost, use it very sparingly.

And, for the record, I'm jealous, my rhodies and blueberries would love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here