Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing peas in the winter

Posted by jmmcd3 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 15:58

Hello! I live in Southern Oregon, in the Rogue Valley. Temps are in the 30s usually overnight and 40s during the day. My question: can I plant sugar snap peas or snow peas now? I know it's November, but I've read in a few places that they'll just overwinter and start producing next spring. (I've also read they'll die, so I'm not sure what to believe!)

Also, if I'd planted peas earlier in the season (say, September) would I still be harvesting now? My spring peas were only around for a few short, sweet weeks in June, I think, so probably not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing peas in the winter

I'm not really a winter gardener so no definitive answer for you, but why not give it a try? All you will be out if it doesn't work is the effort and few seeds. I would think you'd have much better luck in the peas reaching a harvest if you provided a somewhat protected growing environment - cold frame, hoophouse, cloche, etc.

Not many of the local winter gardening sites refer to peas, even though they are a cool season crop, but nothing ventured, nothing gained :-)

FWIW, peas are often planted in sequential crops a few weeks apart in order to extend their relatively short harvest season. I'd start the seeds indoors in peat pots, harden them off a bit once they develop true leaves and then plant in a cold frame or other protected growing situation. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: winter veg gardening in the PNW

o
RE: Growing peas in the winter

I'm in SW Washington. I planted peas on July 6, 2009 and harvested until late November. Your climate is hotter. I would try planting every couple of weeks through July and August, and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here