Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What chews on pampas grass?

Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:19

DH and I just moved back to the PNW(Puget Sound)after 10 years in Wisconsin...feels good to be back.
We are in a very rural area. A short distance from the kitchen there was pampas grass planted...at least I think it's pampas grass...the plume stems are not present. There is a lot of dead grass around the clump, which is about 3'- 4' in diameter, but most of the plant is still green.
When I stand near it I can hear sounds from within the clump that seems like a gnawing noise. I can't see any movement of the clump itself. If I get close and make noise, it will stop, and if I stay still it will start again. I can't see any large obvious openings in the dead grass and I don't want to move it or otherwise disturb 'what's there'. I was just wondering if anyone knows what critter might be in there chewing. Mountain beaver maybe? Mole? Rabbit? We've started letting our cats out for short periods during the day. They immediately go over to the clump and stare at it for a while, then get bored and walk away. I can see the plant from the kitchen window and have never seen anything coming or going from under it. The ground is very wet there(the whole property is a wetland). Maybe it's just air or water coming up from the ground, but it sounds just like a dog gnawing/grating on a bone(but a little quieter).
Just curious as to what it might be. TIA for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What chews on pampas grass?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 15:26

Yes, it sounds like rodents. What kind it would be I don't know.

o
RE: What chews on pampas grass?

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 23:25

One of the cats did a "Garfield" on the side of the clump today, but didn't scare anything out(I assumed that was his strategy). He hung on for several seconds, then dropped and walked away. None of them are willing to stick their heads into the dead grass and I don't blame them. I don't want to poke around in there either. The house has been empty for a couple of years so I feel like we're the intruders.

"The Clump" with resident fake goose...
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here