Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you call a garden . . . ?

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 17:04

A friend asked me this, so I thought I'd pass it along to my more knowledgeable (and wittier) friends here in the NW forum. She wants to know what the gardening version of the cooking term "rustic" would be: as reflected in "I 'meant' to trim that shrub all lopsided."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you call a garden . . . ?

I'd call it "natural" :-) If rustic means rural or pertaining to the country and of a simple, unsophisticated style then that to me translates to a very naturalistic garden. No straight lines, no highly manicured lawns or planting beds, no formally pruned hedges or topiaries. Heck, no hedges at all unless a mixed shrub or hedgerow-type hedge!

o

What, no topiaries?! ;-)
Mike

o

Rustic garden: naturally occurring companions in rose bed.
new rose bed companion plant

o

lots of cardboard and newspaper sticking out of the soil from ill advised attempts at "lasagna gardening", knocked over "whimsical" garden ornaments, and a couple awesome plants.

o

Nice mulch, Harborrose!
Mike

o

Longstanding terms include jungle and mess. Nowadays "ideal bird habitat" would fit.

o

I think a garden should be a learning experience, a sanctuary, and a piece of paradise.
Mike

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 17:49

Well said, Mike! Thanks for sharing your garden photos with us.

Corrine

o

Ohhh, rustic! I've just been reading 'what do you call a garden...?'. Duh.
Rustic would be disorganized in the layout to the point that maintenance isn't even considered. Oh, and free roaming chickens.
Mike

o

Mike, what is that beautiful tree with the red foliage?

o

That tree, like most of my Japanese Maples has no varietal name. Almost worthless on the open market. Named varieties are what sells.
It's an upright Japanese Maple I grew from selected seed from some of the better looking Japanese Maples I grew from seed also.
I obtained seed from a collector's garden 35 years ago and have been selecting seeds ever since. I'm on the third generation. It's a poor man's way of getting nice maples. Takes a lot of time and space though, with a lot of throw aways. It takes about five years before a tree can be judged worthy of keeping, and it's not just Fall color. Vigor, new growth color, and even seed color are other factors. Sometimes bark color is also considered. It's all fun!
Sad to say that maple will be cut down this winter. As the conifer garden has expanded this maple is in the way. It's casting too much shade and taking up a lot of space where I need it. I can only limb it up so far. Once gone it will give me more room for the smaller conifers. I'm just waiting for the seed to get ripe.
Mike

o

Ouch; it's a shame to lose such a gorgeous splash of color in your landscape, but I'll bet your new plan for that spot will be lovely also. Selecting maples from seed sounds like a lot of fun. I enjoyed looking at your picture!

o

Those were beautiful, inspirational photos. My garden isn't nearly as nicely landscaped. Not even close! Nice to see the beautiful views.

o

Thank you very much for the compliments. :-)
More pictures in the link below.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 20:49

Wow, Mike! Your garden, your property is so beautiful! I just took at quick look at those photos on your link. Thank you for sharing them.

o

I call a garden.....therapy, a refuge, an avocation, and how I connect with the neighborhood.

o

Mike, your garden is so lovely! It looks like such a peaceful sanctuary and a restful place to visit. Not so much for the one in charge though. Thanks for sharing the pictures. How big is your property? It looks huge. Oh, and to the op, this is not a definition of "rustic".

o

I garden on ten acres I bought in the late 70s. I don't garden the whole 10 acres, just about 5.
I have the same feelings about gardening as Hallerlake does.
Mike

o

Mike, the largest of the Japanese maples you gave me has really pretty fall color; apricot.

o

Mike, Very nice garden. I couldn't do anything like that.
With reference to your rustic garden post , you forgot to mention the occasional free range horses , and cows.
Beautiful sunset tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here