Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

what do you call a garden . . . ?

toad_ca
10 years ago

A friend asked me this, so I thought I'd pass it along to my more knowledgeable (and wittier) friends here in the NW forum. She wants to know what the gardening version of the cooking term "rustic" would be: as reflected in "I 'meant' to trim that shrub all lopsided."

Comments (20)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I'd call it "natural" :-) If rustic means rural or pertaining to the country and of a simple, unsophisticated style then that to me translates to a very naturalistic garden. No straight lines, no highly manicured lawns or planting beds, no formally pruned hedges or topiaries. Heck, no hedges at all unless a mixed shrub or hedgerow-type hedge!

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

What, no topiaries?! ;-)
    Mike

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Rustic garden: naturally occurring companions in rose bed.
    {{gwi:324989}}

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

lots of cardboard and newspaper sticking out of the soil from ill advised attempts at "lasagna gardening", knocked over "whimsical" garden ornaments, and a couple awesome plants.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Nice mulch, Harborrose!
    Mike

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Longstanding terms include jungle and mess. Nowadays "ideal bird habitat" would fit.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I think a garden should be a learning experience, a sanctuary, and a piece of paradise.
    Mike

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

Well said, Mike! Thanks for sharing your garden photos with us.

Corrine

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Ohhh, rustic! I've just been reading 'what do you call a garden...?'. Duh.
    Rustic would be disorganized in the layout to the point that maintenance isn't even considered. Oh, and free roaming chickens.
    Mike

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Mike, what is that beautiful tree with the red foliage?

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

That tree, like most of my Japanese Maples has no varietal name. Almost worthless on the open market. Named varieties are what sells.
    It's an upright Japanese Maple I grew from selected seed from some of the better looking Japanese Maples I grew from seed also.
    I obtained seed from a collector's garden 35 years ago and have been selecting seeds ever since. I'm on the third generation. It's a poor man's way of getting nice maples. Takes a lot of time and space though, with a lot of throw aways. It takes about five years before a tree can be judged worthy of keeping, and it's not just Fall color. Vigor, new growth color, and even seed color are other factors. Sometimes bark color is also considered. It's all fun!
    Sad to say that maple will be cut down this winter. As the conifer garden has expanded this maple is in the way. It's casting too much shade and taking up a lot of space where I need it. I can only limb it up so far. Once gone it will give me more room for the smaller conifers. I'm just waiting for the seed to get ripe.
    Mike

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Ouch; it's a shame to lose such a gorgeous splash of color in your landscape, but I'll bet your new plan for that spot will be lovely also. Selecting maples from seed sounds like a lot of fun. I enjoyed looking at your picture!

• bear_with_me
    10 years ago

Those were beautiful, inspirational photos. My garden isn't nearly as nicely landscaped. Not even close! Nice to see the beautiful views.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the compliments. :-)
    More pictures in the link below.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Mike! Your garden, your property is so beautiful! I just took at quick look at those photos on your link. Thank you for sharing them.

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

I call a garden.....therapy, a refuge, an avocation, and how I connect with the neighborhood.

• dottyinduncan
    10 years ago

Mike, your garden is so lovely! It looks like such a peaceful sanctuary and a restful place to visit. Not so much for the one in charge though. Thanks for sharing the pictures. How big is your property? It looks huge. Oh, and to the op, this is not a definition of "rustic".

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I garden on ten acres I bought in the late 70s. I don't garden the whole 10 acres, just about 5.
    I have the same feelings about gardening as Hallerlake does.
    Mike

• hallerlake
    10 years ago

Mike, the largest of the Japanese maples you gave me has really pretty fall color; apricot.

• opsitnick
    10 years ago

Mike, Very nice garden. I couldn't do anything like that.
    With reference to your rustic garden post , you forgot to mention the occasional free range horses , and cows.
    Beautiful sunset tonight.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!