Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viability of Sunset manzanita in part shade?

Posted by OregonGrape 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 17:07

I was wondering if anybody in the Pac NW has had any success with Arctostaphylos 'Sunset' in partial shade conditions. The reason I ask is that I'm seeing conflicting reports on its sunlight requirements (most call for sun/part sun, but a few say that part shade is fine).

I'm reflexively skeptical of any claim that a manzanita will do well in less than 4 hours of full sun. Especially since many of these claims come from CA, where they get a lot more sun than we do. However, Sunset's lineage (A. pajaroensis x A. hookeri) suggests that there may be some merit to the partial shade claim. A. hookeri 'Wayside' is well-known as a good understory shrub. Some of the A. pajaroensis cultivars also reportedly do well in light to partial shade.

Anyway, if anybody has any insight into Sunset's shade tolerance, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viability of Sunset manzanita in part shade?

i don't have any particular insight into 'sunset', but I would add that many sources consider air circulation to be a consideration for Arctostaphylos as well.

if i were to place sunset in part shade, i would pick a large specimen and make sure to keep it far from other plants and prune branch structure loose.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 15:34

The main general problem with manzanitas (including the locally native hairy manzanita as well as kinnikinnick) in the PNW is them turning black - I would always plant in the hottest, sunniest and most ventilated part of the property, so that the amount of time the leaves are damp is minimized as much as possible.

o

Thanks for the replies. Air circulation is definitely important, especially when temperatures begin to rise in the spring. The partial shade spot that I'm thinking of is against the west side of my garage, and air circulation may be more limiting here than the relative shade.

A. columbiana (the straight species, at least) is surprisingly leaf spot-prone in cultivation, even when it's in nearly-ideal conditions. Many of the A. densiflora selections from NorCal (Howard McMinn, Harmony, Sentinel) do much better up here.

o

columbiana is also surprisingly leaf spot prone in its native habitat.

o

I have one that was given to me a long time ago. I have no idea of the variety. I shear the top once in awhile to keep it in scale with the surrounding plantings. It is getting more and more shade as the years go by, but I'm about ready to remove some over planted 'Nootkas' and change that. Looking east.
Mike

o

Thanks, Mike. Nice-looking foliage!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here