Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

red vine on walls of I-405 in Renton, WA

oliveoyl3
12 years ago

What is the name of the red vine on the concrete walls of I-405 in Renton, WA? I was thinking it might be Boston Ivy or virginia creeper, but I don't know for sure & even as a passenger in the car at 60mph you can't identify a plant.

I've think it's the same thing along Hwy 18 at the C street exit and along I-5 north from Olympia to Tacoma area.

Would you recommend it in the home landscape on the ground, trellis, or building?

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yes, it will be Parthenocissus.

• lilydude
    12 years ago

Boston ivy is one of my favorites for covering a fence. But don't let it get too dry in the late summer, or you'll get a lot of dieback. Here it is in midsummer on my chain link fence in Portland.

• oliveoyl3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So it is Boston ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata & not Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia?

Would you plant it at your house?

• botann
    12 years ago

I would plant it in the right circumstance. It looks very nice on a freeway wall or up in a large tree. I just started a P. tricuspidata at the base of a Parrotia persica tree.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

One shown has the leaf shape of Virginia creeper.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Just happened through here and also thought the photo looks like Virginia Creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia, and not Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata.

• lilydude
    12 years ago

Here's a closeup. I just googled both species, and this doesn't look like either. I bought it as Boston Ivy. I think that's what it is, because of the compound leaves with three leaflets.

Here's another view that shows more typical leaves. I don't know why they are so variable.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

The lower pic does look like Boston ivy after all. Maybe a named cultivar.

• briergardener_gw
    12 years ago

Be careful, it's poisonous.
    Not recomended if you have kids

• janezee
    12 years ago

Most definitely would not plant either one. Too rampant and invasive, though the ivy is much worse than the VA creeper. Had both of them back east, and spent many miserable hours trying to get rid of them.
    VA Creeper has longer, more tri-folate leaves. Really a beautiful brilliant red in the fall. On lots of walls and buildings in the area, though I'm not familiar with your particular area of inquiry.

• lilydude
    12 years ago

Boston ivy is definitely vigorous and fast-growing, but I don't think that's a problem. They don't spread anywhere except the fence. And if you don't keep them watered, they will die back. They are not as well adapted here as they are back east. I think they are a great choice for covering large areas.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I wouldn't recommend planting it against a house, because it can damage both wood and stucco surfaces with the holdfast suckers, and makes refinishing necessary to create a smooth surface if you need to repaint. I'd only recommend it for concrete walls, or other wall surfaces that won't need maintenance. Surprised to hear that either species is drought sensitive up in Washington state, as they do very well here in northern California with next to no irrigation once established. Both color up equally well here, and are used on freeway soundwalls all over the place.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Also seen growing wild in eastern WA, another hot and dry area. Although most of it may be near streams etc. Not much, if at all seen wild on this side.