Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

White... the new autumn color

ian_wa
13 years ago

We got an impressive dump of snow on Monday (basically completely missed by the forecasters) followed by temperatures down to about -10.5C last night. It is way too early in the year for this! Here are a few pics.

Snow before it finished falling, and before the wind blew it all over the place. About 3" of this fell in one hour with strong winds and no visibility - it was almost surreal since we had such an abrupt transition to sunny mild weather a few days before. Total was about 8". Could have been worse though, some places southwest of me got 22"

Road in our neighborhood with Quercus garryana

Blue Mountain from my neighborhood. It's 6,000'; in summer you can drive to the top. And there are actually some interesting plants up there.

My greenhouses

Snow piled around the greenhouses. I kept knocking it off - wasn't about to let one of these things collapse and the right hand one isn't really finished, so the plastic isn't on too well yet.

Took this pic when I was about half done putting plants in the new greenhouse... before bitterly cold temperatures arrived. Most of them will be fine.

Cactus garden...? Actually it's just a cutting I never got around to potting up

Callistemon subulatus. I brought these in; they'll be fine

Windward side of greenhouses. The snow is sort of holding the plastic down where I didn't finish it

Another shot

Nursery cart tracks to/from shadehouse.

Obviously... winter pretty much caught me off guard! I wish I had finished that second greenhouse earlier. The plastic will need to be tightened later and it needs some other work. But I could have done a lot worse. And all that hard work was good for me.... LOL.

Side note... for ten years between 1996-2006 Sequim did not fall below 20 degrees F. Since we moved here in 2008, winter lows have been 13, 16, and 13 degrees F. I swear the cold weather is following me wherever I go....

(cross posted @ GOTE... sorry)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus