Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
99 cent 6 inch poinsettias at Home Depot tomorrow

Posted by muddydogs (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 19:55

This seems absurd to me. They might as well give them away free. What grower could afford this? Home Depot gives responsible growers a bad name. Go in the red to increase future revenue is irresponsible in these times. Home Depot's bigwigs are probably waiting in line to get bailed out by big government.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 99 cent 6 inch poinsettias at Home Depot tomorrow

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 21:10

I went to a big independent garden center with an large indoor line and then went to a H.D. to get a sink plunger. While there I went out to the garden department and found many of the same seasonal pot crop items to be significantly shabbier looking. As usual there were still-unloaded racks of potted plants still sitting in their plastic shipping wrap, in this case poinsettias inside the hot main part of the store. This was in the evening, not in the morning.

Even the large section of cut trees filling up what earlier was the landscape plant area looked dried out. And it's not even December yet. The whole angle must be people who are pleased with their plant purchases because they're a few bucks less than at an independent, a false economy because the quality it often markedly lower.

o
RE: 99 cent 6 inch poinsettias at Home Depot tomorrow

It is a crime, but you can't blame Home Desperate. Blame the people who line up for those .99 Poinsettias. Blame the growers that give up a product at a price no local grower could compete with AND THEN take back every dead or unsold plant giving the box store a credit.

Plus, those trees are harvested in October. Maybe not even in the states. Every year, tons of unexpected consumers buy those bargain trees. Then they get them home and the tree sheds it's needles so the consumer equates that bad experience with all cut trees and sets out to buy a fake one next year.

Our greedy commercial consumerism will destroy us all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here