Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Planting cover crop for first time today, is it already too late?

plantslayer
14 years ago

So today I finally got around to cleaning up my dying tomato and cucumber vines and planting cover crops on the tiny garden plot I have in Seattle. I planted a mix of stuff found at Ace hardware, which includes vetch, clover, austrian field peas, cereal rye, and maybe other stuff. Last year I planted only austrian field peas, but I believe I planted them much earlier. I used the mix from Ace this year because it was fairly cheap and easily available.

I am wondering if it is too late for some or all of the components of this crop to sprout and establish themselves before it gets really cold. Right now temps are between 54-47 at all times (surprisingly warm at night?), and the first frost date is supposedly around today (!).

No big deal if it is too late, since my plot is so small I can probably just lay down some burlap sacks and mix in a bit more fertilizer and compost in the spring. I mainly do the cover crop thing in order to practice for the day (many years in the future) when I have my own house with extra-large vegetable garden...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone