Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

CedarGroveCompost: how close to tree trunks? how big diameter?

Wayne Reibold
14 years ago

I made the mistake of putting coarse bark in all of my planters including right up to the base/trunks of all shrubs and trees. I have many fir/hemlock trees, flowering trees, flowering shrubs (many rhodies, camellias and others), etc. I have had reduced flowering and vigor from things and read that bark will leach nutrients from the soil and it raising the soil level near some shrubs like rhodies and camellias will reduce flowering.

I put the coarse bark around to keep the relentless weeds down (I live on an acre and weeding is a major problem with open soil).

What I plan to do is pull the bark away from the trees/shrubs and keep it in the open soil areas and add Cedar Grove Compost to the top of the soil near trees/shrubs to slowly give nutrients to the trees/shrubs, probably adding more annually.

Some questions...

#1 how far away (what diameter) should I pull bark away from the trees and shrubs?

#2 how close to the trunk of the tree/shrub should I put the compost? I understand putting it too close to the trunk is a bad idea re: rotting/oxygen/etc. but I don't know how far to keep it away. Also how big of a diameter of the compost should I do around the tree/shrub?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)