Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananajoe_palmgrower

How much snow and how cold?

Lowest temp. I've recorded was -4.3 C on Dec. 9., and our first snowfall on Dec. 14 we had 2" inches. The rain came right after and melted it away quickly. Hopefully Elnino kicks in full force!

Comments (8)

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

16 degrees F is the lowest I had, and no snow here in north Seattle.

• bananajoe_palmgrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know areas of Washington and Oregon got hit bad with some extremely low temps. Hopefully that's the worst of it for this season. Cheers, Joe

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Down here in the Willamette Valley we had single digits for a number of nights and didn't go above freezing during the day. We froze up solid and were without water from Tuesday - Saturday. I echo your sentiments, Joe: hope that was the worst that Ma has in store for us this winter.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

SE Portland: 19.6°F and no snow. Also not a single sleet pellet or frozen raindrop. Our temperatures during the cold spell aligned more with Troutdale and Sandy than with the official airport temps.

• cascadians
    14 years ago

Oregon City, 12 degrees on back deck, no snow or freezing rain. It's quite balmy out now. Hope there's no more severe coldness. Last winter's ice and snow decapitated a bunch of our trees and killed some of them. Don't want that ever again!

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

West Olympia, my back deck registered 10 degrees F two nights in a row, and 11 or 12 for others. About 2-3" snow - I could not stop for any stop signs going in to work on Monday morning until I got to an arterial. The official airport temp (in southern Thurston county) was 6 F.

That's -12 and -14 degrees in C.

I must say, I liked the way my house and clothes stayed clean during the freeze, and I liked hiking on dry, frozen mud in the sunshine. I swear, within 15 minutes of the rain returning my floors were covered with muddy paw prints.

I don't garden zone denial so I'm not too concerned about my plants, although it did get down cold enough that there might be bud damage on rhodies. At work we had some unplanted bareroot grasses that froze, which may not make it. And a lot of little plugs in seedling trays that were left out in single digit temps. We'll see how they do. All native plants, but not planted in the ground.

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

Last year, I had some newly planted babies die to the ground. They did fine this year. It's wonderful what an established root system will do. Of course, I have more newly planted babies this year. So far they look okay; a few scorched looking leaves, but not too many. If this was the worst winter has to offer, I'll be happy.

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

I got 1/2" of snow and my high/low temperatures were as follows:
    Dec 6 37/28
    Dec 7 32/20
    Dec 8 34/21
    Dec 9 34/16
    Dec 10 36/17
    Dec 11 40/24
    Dec 12 37/31

Fortunately I managed to put everything important into my new greenhouse before it got cold, and I'm not expecting any major losses. The one thing I left out by accident that now looks dead is the bromeliad Ochagavia carnea - oh well. It wasn't meant to be a future in-ground subject; perhaps I can get another one sometime.