Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

post your snow pictures!

ian_wa
15 years ago

We just got a couple inches here... but now it's started up again. Here are some pictures from earlier this week.

backyard (as yet undeveloped)

{{gwi:1094930}}

Banksia marginata

{{gwi:1094931}}

nursery with quickie hoop house

{{gwi:1094932}}

Agaves (since brought in)

{{gwi:1094933}}

plants safely in hoop house

{{gwi:1094934}}

SR 101 approaching Mt. Walker summit. This area received heavier snow.

{{gwi:1094935}}

Comments (29)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Top photo: Abies procera or similar on the left.

• Mary Palmer
    15 years ago

Those are great Ian!Love all those Opuntias? covered with the snow! How cold is it there?
    Here are a few from my neck of the woods!

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Nice pix. Ian, what happened to all the Eucs on your former property? Did somebody buy it who loves Eucs?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

In this weather many of them are probably bent over double.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bboy, correct: A. procera. The trunk has been heavily damaged by animals and appears to be in a state of decline. We'll probably chop it though I might give it another year to be sure it really doesn't have a chance. The ones on the right are A. grandis and an actually rather nice looking, healthy doug fir.

Mary, great pics! You got more snow than I. Much of mine melted on Wednesday but then we got another 6" this morning... for about 9" total but not all at the same time. It was 19F here Monday night/Tuesday morning. That doesn't sound so bad but it's cold enough for me and all the plants I didn't have a chance to protect. Some friends and I just piled a bunch more of them into the garage this afternoon... it may get even colder and I figure 4 days frozen is better than 8. The cacti ought to be fine, I think. If not then... tough. I did bring all the other cacti and succulents in, and the Banksias.

Cascadians... it's my parents' house so most of the eucs continue to live on. Yes, they're weighted down with snow... a few more fall over or die every year. I'll start a new euc forest here sometime, but I'm going to be more selective about which species I include.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Thanks Ian. Glad they're with folks who won't cut 'em all down. If any of mine croak I'll have to come up to see you to get more. I want a Euc neglecta. Like those big full purplish canopies, and the text says it tolerates water. Wonder if Cistus has as hardy ones as you? This weather really emphasizes proven cold hardiness.

So far mine seem to be growing even in these below-freezing temps. The crenulata is still flowering. I really love these trees, praying they make it through this winter. They're getting taller than the larger natives we planted a year earlier!

In a couple weeks it will be time to prune the 25 willows. They will be just barely past 3 years in the ground. Fortunately willows take well to pruning. The smithiana rootstock of the blue arctics have gone bonkers with BIG sucker trunks, just huge for their young age, and we've needed the shade but now need to make room for the other trees growing underneath them, not to mention trying to save the blue arctics being strangled. But the 1st year so many trees died of too much scorching sun that the shade has been an unexpected Godsend.

If my young Eucs survive this winter I'll really wish I had met Frank before planting anything and had planted a LOT more Eucs. It's hard to find gorgeous broadleaf evergreens. The yard looks so bare in winter even though there's lots of baby conifers. Patience, patience ... it will be so discouraging if anything dies. It is so much work to establish trees and takes far too long for them to grow big!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

So far it hasn't been particularly cold at all. A killer winter is when people are reporting Farenheit temperatures with one digit intead of two.

It only takes a few hours below a plant's minimum temperature to spoil it. Where lingering cold becomes significant is when it freezes the root zones of marginal plants that might otherwise survive exposure of the tops only to the same temperatures. That is why palms etc. living through low temperatures in California die when exposed to the same temperatures here: down there the same cold may occur over only one or two nights, rather than one or two weeks. And it may be 70F again a few days after a bitter night.

There is also the matter of hot and dry summers ripening growth and enabling plants to attain their full level of hardiness. Cool and damp conditions may have the opposite effect, on hot climate plants.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cascadians.... I don't know where Cistus is getting their eucs these days, without the artist formerly known as Ex-Cincinatti Frank. But it's probable that a lot of euc seed in the Northwest is coming from the same suppliers, most notably Milligan seeds, who offers superior hardy selections. You're welcome anytime although you should check in first to see if I have anything you want.

Yes, it looks like we will get through this freeze without any really cataclysmic, widespread record cold. Still, the duration of this freeze is greater than anything we've had in a long time (1990?). I got to 13F this morning which will be a good test for plants I shouldn't have left outside... and is closer to our all-time record low than many other places reached. It's annoying though because I'm not quite sure why it has to get anomalously cold wherever I decide to move and set up shop. Poulsbo's morning low today was 22F.

I'm currently looking out my window at some unusually fast moving high clouds. Radar echoes are already showing up early over the western Strait of Juan de Fuca. So who's ready for a REAL storm?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The light reflecting off of your agaves, cacti and other hot climate plants with broad evergreen leaf and stem surfaces is generating warm updrafts which attract cold stale air out of the interior. That's why you keep getting sharp weather wherever you set up a nursery.

• botann
    15 years ago

It's been cold here too.
    {{gwi:1094939}}

{{gwi:1094940}}

The bamboo is down for good. I look at it as natural thinning. When burned a truckful of bamboo sounds like a big gunfight.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

I have my bamboo bungee-corded to the house. Home Depot got really tough strong bungee cords with closed fasteners, have held up well. Put enormous hooks into studs, lots of silicone, so far so good. The birds hang out in the bamboo and we watch them on the skylight playing bamboo soccer.

It's snowing hard now. Lots of accumulation. Snowing too much too fast to even put seed out, gets covered up in a few minutes.

If the forecasters are correct and this is just the beginning of the blizzard, it will be amazing. Unusual snow for here. 32 degrees, no wind.

• Mary Palmer
    15 years ago

Why do do think it's called BAM BOO! Sorry, couldn't resist!
    I remember the first year I went out and knocked the snow from my fastuosa screening bamboo! It was so pretty and green in the snow. Well,that was 1990. It went down to zero that night and I lost my screen all the way to the ground. It did grow back but it took two years! All of the other boos I left covered with snow were just fine....Since then I always listen for the long range forecast. This year I know that my Himalayacalamus f. 'Damarapa' and Borinda fungosa Himalayacalamus asper will be toast. I can only hope that the snow protects the rhizomes!
    I am not looking forward to tonight. We are already preparing for the power outage that is inevitable and it has only warmed up to 22 degrees so far! Burrrrrr.

• toad_ca
    15 years ago

It was 2 degrees here just outside of Bellingham this morning! Our neighbors brought their 3 goats indoors because the poor things were shivering.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Fraser Outflow effect. TV news weather reports have been showing much lower temperatures for Bellingham than other major western Washington locations for at least a few days now.

Usually seems colder in northwest Washington during the summer as well. There are reasons why the native paper birch groves visible from the freeway start north of Everett.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

>>Yes, it looks like we will get through this freeze without any really cataclysmic, widespread record cold.

Yes I wrote that... but last night's/this morning's temperatures were close to all time record lows in many locations from Snohomish County northward. The influence of Arctic air south of there has been somewhat less. For Seattle itself to get a landmark freeze, this was a VERY near miss.

Some of the scarier lows this morning include
    Bremerton 12F
    Eevrett 10F
    Friday Harbor 8F
    Oak Harbor 8F
    Arlington -6F
    Maple Falls -7F (ice box anyway)
    Naniamo, BC -2F

Here's a fun site for tracking current temperatures at various locations. You can also click on each station to get a two day history.
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?wfo=sew&map=seattle&list=1&sort=name
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?wfo=sew&map=seattle&list=1&sort=name
    Links to those pages and more:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/observations.php

The weather's pretty benign tonight where I am anyways... I've just had a little off and on light snow and no real wind.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Freezing rain all night. Looks like ribboning tinsel twirling down in steady streams. More than 1/4" ice coating everything. If the power goes out in this it's going to be very bad. About 12" of snow covered with ice out there. Can't open doors.

• novita
    15 years ago

It's still snowing here - we have over a foot on S. Vancouver Isl. It's really getting heavy on the trees now (wet!) So far we have miraculously avoided power outtage, keeping my fingers crossed.
    Picture of huge Eucalyptus growing through the deck.

• dottyinduncan
    15 years ago

It's been snowing here for 24 hours. Over a foot of snow on the ground, but it's light and fluffy. Quite a difference from our usual wet, heavy snow.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

These are clickable to make bigger. Portland is hard hit with this snow. There is more snow than this today.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I don't know, I think those rocks know something - and they're not telling.

Looks like it's a nice eucalyptus but it's far from huge, as far as it goes.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

They normally look like this:

• galcho
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1094951}}Now

{{gwi:1094953}}July

Wondering how much of my plants survive under 16'' of snow.
    Oh.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Snow is beneficial to plants that don't break under the weight of it.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Bboy, how is the snow beneficial?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

For more about that...

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Service Garden Hints

• jraz_wa
    15 years ago

From Redmond, WA -

I love how this deer fern, which is clinging to the side of a tree, is "hugging" the snow here...
    {{gwi:1094954}}

I took this one in the calm before the pre-Christmas "wind storm" because I knew the snow wouldn't last on the trees much longer...
    {{gwi:1094956}}

• galcho
    15 years ago

Here is our slideshow with pictures taken on our street and backyard:

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Storm 2008

• galcho
    15 years ago

Try this link instead:

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Storm 2008

• tallclover
    15 years ago

I love the shot of this great big leaf maple and garden from the same vantage point; one taken in May and one this December.

Gorgeous comparision and contrast

Here is a link that might be useful: SNOW & FLOWERS: 2 shots, same view but 7 months apart

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living