Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Black plastic- friend or enemy of slugs

plantslayer
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I was thinking that I would like to try black plastic mulch in my vegetable garden this year, for my heat-loving crops at least. I was wondering however if the plastic will provide a breeding ground for slugs, since I often find them thriving under leaves, plastic lids, etc. Does anyone know if dark plastic encourages or prevents slugs in the PNW region? Are there other kinds of plastic or sheet mulch that are less slug and bug-friendly?

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I've read that tons of it have been used for large-scale commercial strawberry production.

And I've seen that slugs can spoil strawberries.

Of course, in a giant, inorganic for-profit operation they might have no qualms about spraying the fields with metaldehyde.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

I can't recall if slugs were worse or not. Any mulch that keeps soil moist & cool is a potential slug habitat.

I suppose if you place a soaker hose under the plastic it might work. I didn't like how dry it kept my soil underneath when I used a large piece for 6 zucchini plants even though I had bottomless coffee cans near each stem to fill for water. That part of the garden was recently expanded, so I don't think I had enough organic matter in soil, between plants, etc. It discouraged me from reusing more of the plastic leftover from a remodel job here.

I like my strawberry runners to root, so I wouldn't use plastic there. Coffee grounds, hand picking, spraying ammonia water, iron phosphate baits work to control slugs for us.

My dad would say that it was the only way to control the weeds in his near acre garden years ago. He'd lay out plastic over a section of prepared bed, wire U to hold in place, cut x holes, transplant or place seeds in mound, sprinkle with slug bait for his cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes & peppers.

Last year, a friend and I packed home 10 huge bags of rabbit manure in contractor strength bags from Craigslist. Great for the garden, but stinky ride home as I don't have a truck. So after dumping out I put bags on top to warm soil further prior to planting. Later after planting kept them between my large plants (squashes, raspberries, cukes, tomatoes, peppers) to keep moisture in/excess moisture out of my compost/mulch between plants. When I use them I cover with burlap or straw/leaves to protect from UV damage. (I don't want plastic pieces in my soil.) Weigh down with soil around edges, rocks or chunks of wood. Sometimes added additional compost materials mid-summer, so wanted to be able to lift the plastic. Worms love it!

Zucchini at far left of photo was one place I used the bags last growing season. I think there are some bags stacked behind fruit trees as well until needed again.

The one time I re-used a large sheet of black plastic leftover from a remodel job it was harder to keep my zucchini plants from wilting in summer sun

• hallerlake
    13 years ago

What about clear plastic instead. It would cook any slugs underneath, wouldn't it?