Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Do you have a bell/sweet pepper that does OK here?

plantslayer
13 years ago

OK, just to get this out of the way, I know that Seattle is not a good place in general for bell peppers. But my wife really wants some bell peppers for 2011, and I figure I can get at least a modest harvest if I play my cards right. We are very good at putting up low tunnels every year, which makes out tomatoes grow quite early, so I can probably try to do that for my peppers too. Anyway...

I was wondering if anyone has favored bell or sweet peppers that do well in the PNW? Some of the ones I am interested in are Gypsy, King of the North, sweet chocolate and maybe Bull Nose. Most of these are all a little on the small side I believe, and my wife would like big bell peppers, but if that is not feasible I will stick to what grows well. Do pimento varieties grow better, and can they serve in the place of bells in stir fry?

Also, the ones I mentioned are all open pollinated I think (actually there is a hybrid version of Gypsy?) but I don't mind planting hybrids if they will give me an edge; I don't get the impression that there is a big dropoff in eating quality between heirloom and hybrid varieties for peppers. Usually I like to grow heirlooms for the cachet value and because they are more interesting, but it seems peppers are already hard enough to grow well around here without handicaping myself.

Comments (14)

• sundevil
    13 years ago

I have grown Gypsy in Seattle for the last few years but my favorite sweet pepper is Carmen. Below is a link to the site I found my seeds.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=03127&c=35&p=Carmen+Hybrid+Pepper

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Pimentos have done well for us in years past, but only hot peppers did well in 2010 at this Portland location.

• chuckle_grower
    13 years ago

I planted Red Beauty, Valencia, and California Wonder this year (Willamette Valley) and none of them produced. I guess the growing season was too crazy.
    What did really well were Poblano and Jalapeno which I am still enjoying from the freezer.

• jordan_californicus
    13 years ago

Giant Marconi does fantastic down here in the Rogue Valley.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chuckle, just wondering, but can Poblano peppers serve the same cullinary purpose as bell peppers? Are the skins thin enough that you can stuff them or chop them up and stir fry them? If they are that much better than bells, maybe I'll just grow poblanos. :)

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Giant Marconi sounds interesting; we can only find seeds of this, rather than plants, in our catalogs.

Back to pimentos: They are easier than bells to get a thick-walled, red pepper.

Warm nights are the key. Avoid the temptation to plant out too early.

• jordan_californicus
    13 years ago

Poblanos are probably fine. Mine did well in this area, but they were also late bloomers if that matters to you. Also just to note it, Poblanos may also be sold under Anchos; same pepper, but one of the names is really the name for the pepper when dried. I can't remember which though.

• hvaldez
    13 years ago

I highly recommend poblanos as I am not a fan of green bells anyway. Think Chile Rellenos!!! They are great stuffed. As far as stir fry I always use poblanos for fajitas. They are not so much on the sweet but more along the lines of a mild to medium kick of heat. I grew poblanos the past couple years and haven't yet gotten a harvest to brag about....last season only 1 large pepper. I am will give another go this year!

• sundevil
    13 years ago

Ancho Magnifico is a poblano has done real well for us the last three years. The plants are almost twice the size of our other peppers. These peppers are not sweet.

• cindy_a_wise
    13 years ago

Last year I grew California Wonder and they did great. I think one of the secrets is to cloche them early until the weather is really warm, late into June. I used 5 gallon water bottles (from a supplier of water coolers to offices)and cut the bottom out. It makes the perfect cloche for peppers and eggplants. Plant early (May) Plant at least 6 in a block and feed regularly. I used the same method to grow Beaver Dam, they grew nice and large and are mildly hot. Great for salsa. If you can't get the plastic bottles you can use PVC and clear plastic make a tunnel cloche for the peppers.

• skywaitress
    13 years ago

Plantslayer,
    I grew "Wonder Bell" from Territorial Seed Co. Did fantastic for me. Territorial sells seed specifically for the PNW. Good luck!

• chuckle_grower
    13 years ago

Plantslayer, Poblanos will give your dishes a pleasant kick when substituted for Bells. I am using them more and more as Bell replacement. While the skins are a little tougher, I just throw a bunch on the grill when I have finished BBQing and char the outside skins. Seal them in a paper bag for 1/2 an hour and the skins just slide off. My only exception is gazpacho, you gotta have Bell. Given the outrageous price for Bells, even in season, homegrown Poblanos have become our staple.

• boizeau
    13 years ago

Our climate is very marginal for peppers, and they are more heat demanding than even tomatoes. You are best advised to grow them in an unheated greenhouse. If you insist on trying them outdoors, Hungarian Yellow Wax is fairly cool hardy, but it is semi hot. Cherry Belle, is OK. Just plant them in a large container so you can keep them in a warm location, "near the South Wall of a Building is good.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I got some very healthy, mature bell and sweet pepper plants hardening off now... looks like night time temps will be reliably 50*F or higher starting next week or so. What do you think, can I put them out in Wall'o'waters once I think the below 50*F nights more or less over? Maybe some plastic on the ground to help out as well?

I settled on Wisconsin Lakes (bell), Sheep Nose pimento, Napoleon (bell) and Bull's nose (bell), plus two types of hot pepper. I'd love grow more just to experiment, but I don't have a very big space. I will be sure to report back here on how it works!

It's been a rather nasty spring for solanacea plants... hope things will be better in the upcoming weeks.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz