Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with a rhododendron

Posted by arlenem z8 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 17:09

Just over a year ago I planted three rhododendrons. Two of them are doing well and the third one seems to be out of phase with the seasons.

The first winter this rhody (Ann Rose Whitney) got wind burn and lost some leaves. It looked bad but put out leaves somewhat late in summer. These look as if they were not mature enough to stand the recent cold and are now looking brownish and as if they will just turn to mush.

Around these damaged clusters of leaves are large foliage buds just waiting to come out. I am afraid that they will also begin developing and will be blasted by another cold snap.

What can I do to get this shrub back into the proper cycle? Or if new branches do start developing, can I protect them in some way.

a.m.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with a rhododendron

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 22:43

'Anna Rose Whitney' is prone to foliage mildew, perhaps you have had some of that on this plant.

o

Just leave it alone, she'll get herself in synch by herself. Any growth that freezes will be replaced in spring. Sometimes it takes a couple years for a plant to adapt itself time-wise to your garden, especially if it was imported from a warmer climate, as most nursery plants are. So long as it's intrinsically hardy enough for your zone it will adapt.

o

Thanks for the information and reassurance. I will look up the fungus thing and hope for the best, in general.

a.m.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 4:01

For site search results returned for "rhododendron"...

Here is a link that might be useful: Index, An Online Guide to Plant Disease Control, Oregon State University

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here