Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Opinion on privacy hedge wanted:

runswithscissors
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions. Here's the situation. At one time there was an irrigation ditch (2 acres long?) that separates my neighbor's (Norma) and my property. Over the years and through the course of the encroachment of new neighbors sprouting up everywhere, old farm lands are now residential homes and the need for irrigation ditches are cast to the wayside. Now Norma and I are left with this old dried up ditch that comes from nowhere, leads to nowhere and grows nothing but weeds. Her side of the "ditch" is completely fenced in, leaving me unofficially responsible for this long patch of unwatered waterway. When I first moved here, Norma had a row of cottonwoods running down the fenceline. It was beautiful! She cut them down last summer. (sigh) I've planted wildflower mixes every year, and they do look nice for awhile but the weeds take over. I'm looking for a permanent solution for my side of the ditch. A fast-growing, not-to-invasive-into-my-lawn privacy hedge. I thought about a willow stand. Are there any hybrid willow shrubs that grow tall but don't strangle septic systems. Since the ditch is dry...bone dry...will that keep a willow in bounds or will it prompt it to root grow a bee-line to my irrigation system? What do you think? (I have deer up the waazzu...if you can imagine how that looks!)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm