Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastside1

Apricot and Fig

eastside1
14 years ago

Hello,

I am having a hard time picking out one variety of Apricot and Fig. Could anyone give some suggestions/advise for growing them in Seattle area?

I am sure that there have been a lot discussions regarding fruit trees. But the forum right now missing pages, my search within the forum didn't yield any result for either apricot or fig.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Apricot trees require special culture to be satisfactory here, even when varieties with greatest potential are selected. Fig trees are much easier, as long as crows or squirrels do not descend on the maturing fruits. A standout cultivar is 'Brown Turkey', some others do well also.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU Gardening in Western Washington

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

A nearby apricot tree in Portland has fruited once in the past 19 years.

• eastside1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a bummer to hear about the apricot tree! I grown up with tree ripened apricots and they were so good. Now, you can tell that I am a newbie to gardening :).
    Thanks!

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Lattarula and Desert King have been the best figs for me, Brown Turkey froze to the ground a couple of years ago. Puget Gold apricot had a few fruits the first year and only about one since. It experienced some dieback but is still alive, maybe there is hope.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

The Montrose Apricot is better than Puget Gold, if you can find a Nursery source. I know a guy on Marrowstone Island 'Ft. Flagler' island, that grows it.
    As for Figs, I like Violet De Bordeaux, and Brunswick a lot. Negonne is OK.
    Apricots are tough to grow over here, since they tend to bloom too early. Plant on a North slope, if you can, and find a place with super good drainage, as they prefer a semi arid climate.
    Try to get Montrose or Puget Gold, since most Apricots fail in Western WA due to disease and brown rot takes out the blooms on many.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nafex Article

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Long-established fig that froze down on Camano Island last winter may be 'Brown Turkey' as well. 'Puget Gold' was tunneled out by cherry bark tortrix and therefore cut down. Yield up to that point was several fruits per year, most falling without being picked and eaten. Tree got maybe 10' across before tortrix attack.

• eastside1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For green skinned fig, sounds like Desert King is a good choice. For purple skinned kind, One green world advise their "Vern's brown turkey" is more reliable. Does any one have experience with that? In any case, sounds like Violet De Bordeaux would work out.

Thanks!

• tallclover
    14 years ago

I've had great luck in the Puget Sound region with the following figs: Negronne (Violette du Bordeaux), Peter's Honey (greenish/gold) and Dessert King (green variety. I'll link to photos below.

As for apricots, I'm still trying to grow Puget Gold and varieties called Westcot, Harglow and Harcot. They seem to have trouble with bores which can kill the tree. Apricot trees also hate standing water, so good drainage is important.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of My Peter's Honey Fig (Find links to Negronne and Dessert King under FIG category)

• boizeau
    14 years ago

While Desert King is dependable it is also very prone to souring and rot, if we get summer rainfall. I like Brunswick better, though less productive. Still testing other types. I think the Montrose Apricot is the best for our region, but can't find a tree to buy. Would like to get seeds of it, if I could.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

"Bores", in this case is probably cherry bark tortrix. While bores (and boors) may be rather often encountered on the internet, the moth and beetle larvae that tunnel out trees are called borers.

• pdxlights
    14 years ago

I wonder if anyone has grown "Oregon Prolific" fig? I bought it because of the name :( . I planted it on the South side of a small stone building last year...here's hoping it does well.

I never hear this variety discussed on this PNW forum.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

I think it is a pseudonym for White Marseilles

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tallclover
    14 years ago

I have a White Genoa (sister cities perhaps) but it has only produce one fig so far -- in its defense, it is young.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

A local talk on figs is coming up.

Where: Center for Urban HorticultureâÂÂs NHS Hall (3501 NE 41st St, in Seattle)
    For more information: Email us or call 206.783.9813

Free and open to the public, potluck friendly, beer and wine approved, come as you are.

Topic: Figs and Fig Pruning.

Speakers Hildegard Hendrickson and Kiwi Bob are back by popular demand. Last year they spoke on kiwis to a jam-packed room. Everyone agreed we want to hear more, more, more! And if you have a good fig recipe, make it up and bring it to share

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Amnesty - Calendar of Events