Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthalouis

WANTED: Kentucky Gardeners to swap with

MarthaLouis
19 years ago

I have noticed gardeners from Ill., Ohio, Ind. W. Virginia, are there any gardners here in Louisville, Kentucky?

Comments (23)

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

You'll find several of us poking around, wishing the weather to warm up and stay spring.

Welcome aboard.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    19 years ago

Hi Martha and Welcome!

I'm in Indiana, just 30 miles north of Louisville.

If my canna (named dwarf varieties) make it though winter storage, might you be interested in trading me some of the Blue Paradise phlox?
    If so, email me...Thanks...Sue...chemocurl

• msprettyky
    19 years ago

I AM FROM THE COVINGTON/INDEPENDENCE AREA. HAVE A FEW THINGS TO SWAP. LET ME KNOW!

• Elaine428
    19 years ago

I am from Louisville, Ky and want to say "Hi" & welcome
    Hugs,
    Elaine

• flowerchildky
    19 years ago

Hello Martha,
    I am in Louisville too...I 'hang out' mostly at the winter sowing forum, and just stopped by OhioValley to see how everyone was doing. So glad I did! Let me add my welcome to all- GW is a great place! I have been here 4 years and so enjoy meeting new gardeners, and I have learned SO much! I have traveled to a swap in Tenn, met Bakemom in person (she's wonderful!) and plan to meet 2 fellow winter sowers in North Carolina this summer.

I trade/give away lots of seeds in the fall/winter. If you read about winter sowing (check the FAQ there too) you will find a 'whole new world' of gardening in winter. I just love it! I have lots of baby plants this summer- melampodium, zinnia, sunflowers, tithonia, hya bean, celosia, tons of amaranthus, and lots of others (all winter sown seeds)

I still have lots of seed, if you want to email me, I will share with you.

I am close to the airport/fairgrounds- the hail/rain storm last night was terrible! I went out a few minutes ago, and checked a few things- maybe it won't be too bad, it was too chilly and wet to stay out.

I also attend Perinnial Plus club meetings and garden tours..if any are interested I can let you know...

welcome again,
    best wishes,
    Linda

• Lisa Hayes
    18 years ago

Hi Martha and Linda,
    I live in Louisville also. My passion is perennials and vegetables. I also have some trades, daylilys, iris, hosta, etc. Linda, would love to talk to you about WS.

• marciagaye
    18 years ago

I am also in Louisville....Douglass Hills. I have plants to trade and just to give away...I need to thin things out.

• rwbigfoot
    18 years ago

Hi I'm from the area north of Lexington. I'm in great need of daylilys and Iris's prefered they were named. I'm rebuilding my beds after a fire and moving, after replanting one bed last week costing over 200. I knew to ask for help from other Iris and Daylily lover out there! Any Help out there? I love hosta's and cottage style perennials, vines, email me, Holly

• vickie3144
    18 years ago

Hi! i am in Crestwood;Oldham County. I have lots of perennials and always need to thin...

• swallowpond
    18 years ago

I just discovered this place after hovering around winter sowing for a week. I am astounded at the stuff they let germinate outside in containers in the winter. For the first time I'm looking forward to winter!!
    I work in Louisville and live across the river. In the fall I'll have loads of morning glory seeds to share.

• flowerchildky
    18 years ago

Welcome Swallow! so glad to see ya posting on Martha's thread...Martha, Elaine and I have met in person and swapped seeds/plants and garden stories! LOL

I emailed the other Louisville ladies posting here, but have not heard back- this is the busiest time of the whole year!

Morning Glories? I love'em- they only thing I don't like is I don't get to see them open very much- have to be at work myself at 6:30 am...I will have tons of seeds this fall...e me sometime for a chat :))

I live by the airport/fairgrounds ...

SO glad you are going to w/s! This will be my 5th year, and I love it!

happy gardening!
    Linda in Louisville

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

I know all these postings are pretty old but I'm new to GW and just found it. Too cold now but next spring I'll have tons of stuff to share. Hubby worked at Wallitsch Nursery & you wouldn't believe the plants they threw away. Somehow found their way into my garden...veeerrrry interesting!
    Carol

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Welcome Carol!

Now get those trade lists (haves and wants) worked on this winter, and you'll be set to get addicted to trading here.
    I'll bet you have some neat stuff!

Sue

• alanrocks
    18 years ago

I'm another Louisville gardener (living in Lyndon). I've been on the Garden Web for several years. In fact, I pleaded to get the Ohio Valley forum up. But I don't visit the forum very often... sometimes going an entire season. I just don't have much time except in the winter.

I do a lot of seed starting and like to swap seeds and plants. I am organizing a garden fair at the Falls of the Ohio State Park interpretive center on Feb. 25, and it will include a seed swap.

Alan

• MarthaLouis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello and Welcome Alan
    Glad to have you join in. This will be my first year for winter sowing and am a little worried about it. My good lady friends have talked me into trying it the year. I guess it is worth it if I don't have all of that mess in the house again. I know that there are a few things I will still need to start early in the house but not like my normal seed starting mess.
    Grow lights on every wall of one of my bedrooms, extra heat and moisture in that room. Boy will my husband be so happy that it all isn't in the house.
    Again....Welcome
    Best of luck

Martha

• flowerchildky
    18 years ago

Hi Carol and Alan,WELCOME AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    WOW, there are quite a few of us right in the "Derby City"-that's great!

I am the winter sowing enabler :)) This will be my 5th year, and I am very pleased with the results- so many plants for my garden and to share with others.

Carol, your member page is wonderful! I love the old homes in your area...

Alan, might have to visit the swap in Feb- sounds good!

Martha, talk to you soon :))
    Linda

• indianaplantlover
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. This is an old post but I was also interested in how many folks were in the Louisville area. I am across the river in Jeff. Winter Sowing for the first year. I visit the ws board often and will visit this one often also. Glad to meet everyone. Vicci

• MarthaLouis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ISN'T IT JUST WONDERFUL....HOW MANY PEOPLE RESPONDED TO THIS POST.....AND STILL ARE ALMOST A YEAR FROM THE DATE IT WAS POSTED.....I LOVE IT......SEE YOU ARE NEVER ALONE....WELCOME TO ALL....HAVE ANYTHING TO TRADE? HAVE ANY WANTS? I HAVE LOTS TO SHARE ....LETS TRADE....THANKS.....MARTHA

• nance
    18 years ago

I got to add my name to this fine listing! I am from Louisville. I live in Valley Station. This is my first year Winter Sowing. I am hoping to keep the 25 seedlings alive through this cold spell.I planted 90 different plants. That is alot of milk jugs...lol Since it GOING TO GET TO 22 TONIGHT, all my plants are under cover. o my!!
    Nancy from KY

• olelady
    17 years ago

Well, might as well keep this going. I had been wondering if there were very many KY gardeners on here, now I have my answer. Hi everybody, nice to meet you. I am from Bowling Green. Have been a member for a few years now, but going to be my first year to winter sow. Wish me luck.

Olelady/Barbara

• kym-ky
    17 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm from Paducah, Ky. Not too far from Bowling Green. Glad to meet everyone. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and good luck for everyone wintersowing. Kym :)

• ncwildflower
    17 years ago

DOES ANYONE IN KY, INDY OR OHIO HAVE TRILLIUM FLEXIPES OR TRILLIUM NIVALE THAT WOULD TRADE FOR SOMETHING THAT I MIGHT HAVE?????? I'M FROM THE CINCY AREA

• jessinpiner
    14 years ago

Not many of us here from Kentucky, but yes, a few. I am in Piner, KY- We are starting our first vegetable garden here at the farmhouse this year. My father in law has done it years previously, however seeing as we were going through a home renovation last year, it didn't get put out. I have seedlings hardening off right now and I'm very excited!

We have your typical "farm" perennials all over our main yard so definitely nothing that many people are probably looking for! For example, hostas, bleeding heart, sedum...

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio