Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourpaws2002

what's in Bloom-LOL

fourpaws2002
18 years ago

while walking the gardens yesterday I noticed something in bloom-not really much to talk about, but I just had too.

Petasites Japonica-about 2 mos early this year, has a cluster of small white flowers-protected inside a grouping of leaves-not real showy-but it's something!

Hey, there's always the dandelions(for those of us who don't have our yards treated-lol)

Can you tell this warm weather has really got me goin

Waiting on those crocus and it will be official

anyone else got anything

Comments (22)

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Nothing in bloom here, but I have Crocus popping up about 3" and my Daff bulbs are starting to show a little growth peek up through the dirt now.

I'd think that the Hyicinths would be starting to show themselfs soon too, based on the growth the Daffs are showing, but I'd just as soon let them sleep a little longer so they aren't zapped by those cold snaps (or even snow) I know are still coming.

I did loads of work in the front yard last year and I'm hoping I rember where my Hyicinths were planted. Will see shartly if I inadvertantly disturbed them.

Anyone in the know about the long term forcast for Febuary? Wondering if we're still gong to be as warm as January has been.

Hey, Groundhog day is Thursday-- wonder what Buckeye Chuck is gonna say!

Shannon

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I have big fat pink buds on my hellebore. It usually blooms in February. It will be right on time.

I have lots of bulbs that are starting to poke up too.

I hope Buckeye Chuck will tell us something we don't know!

• michigoose
    18 years ago

well....three of my orchids (the inside variety). I am terrified I am going to lose some stuff...my sedum is going to town. I'm expecting a dump of bad weather...like in April, but maybe sooner...Prolly for my birthday.

• fourpaws2002
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OH yeah,
    I noticed the hellebors yesterday too- can't wait

I'm sure we'll have another bout of cold cold weather-tis inevitable, but I sure have enjoyed this warm January

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Beverly gave me my first hellebore last fall and it has buds! Wooo Hooo!!!

~~Mimi

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

I have dozens of snowdrops in bloom, and big buds on my Rjinveld's Early Sensation daffodils.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

both my Forsythia viridissima var. koreana 'Kumson' are blooming. Everything else looks about normal.

• alison
    18 years ago

I was walking thru the arboretum at OSU last weekend and was astonished at the big buds on all the magnolias.

Drives me crazy every year, watching the magnolias break dormancy when there's still 2 months of winter ahead!

Will they never learn?!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

My snow drops are blooming. And my pink hellebores in IN BLOOM. Yippeeee!

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Snow drops. I see nothing on my hellebores.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I have a crocus blooming today. I better look quick...because by tomorrow the bunnies will probably have eaten it.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I've had my single snow drop (something that came down with some transplanted plants from CT) for about a month...I forgot we had this thread going...Other than that, nothing.

Kumson! I'm impressed, I don't think mine has begun to show anything, altho some of my other spireas (the little sprite I think, it's a new one I bought last fall) has leafed out.

• plantsnobin
    18 years ago

Helleborus, Iris reticulata, miniature daffodils, cyclamen, snowdrops, crocus and that tiny little weed that has blue flowers that are so small you about have to be on hands and knees to see. Don't know what it is, but I kind of like it and leave it alone when I am weeding.

• doniki
    18 years ago

What's blooming???
    Witch Hazel's "Diane"- for about 3 weeks now..., and Arnold's Promise for the last 10 days...
    Snowdrops, Winter Aconite, Iris Reticulata

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Ooooh! ONe of my scilla siberica (squill) bloomed! I'm dumbfounded!

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Does buying some Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum) that is was just starting to put on buds count??? They where half price while the fully bloomed out one were twice as much! My regular Hyacinth is just starting to show growth, so I think I'd rather have them with blooms just developing.

What time of year do they normally start to bloom around here?? I know they like the cooler weather and I have never grown them before.

They were so cute I couldn't resist!
    Shannon

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Forsythia as of yesterday.....but ARRRGGHHHH!!!!! We're supposed to have 29F tonight....ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

My Hellebore bloomed a few weeks ago but my reticulata has bloomed oin three sides of my house!!!!!

Six days until spring!!!!!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I have 4 purple primula in bloom! Hoooray!! So pretty. I can feel spring inching in.

• chrsvic
    18 years ago

I was down in Williamsburg, VA early March and saw hellebores in bloom - those are very pretty plants! Their spring comes a little earlier than ours i guess.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

My Pulmonaria Pierre's Pure Pink is in bloom. This is really early for Pierre! But, I'll take it.

• doniki
    18 years ago

You should turn this into "What's not in Bloom".... I thought we'd get an early start this year, but the last two weeks of cold and snow have really set things back... I've noticed a few daffodils here and there. The forsythias in the area have a yellow hue to them, but no open flowers... My winter jasmine finally bloomed this weekend...

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County