Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Agnelica gigas

michigoose
18 years ago

I've had so many people asking about this plant, I decided to post. I'm sorry to say I don't think I have any seed...In June, I moved to OH from CT, and therefore I didn't have access to the seeds from last years crop. I did bring a baby down, but I'm not sure how well it did. If it survived the winter, the rabbits and the voles, it will set seed this summer.

I'm still looking for my box of seeds I brought down from Connecticut, there may be some there, but maybe not.

I'll also note that in the earlier part of the year, the color isn't as fantastic as it is when it is setting flower. It comes on looking pretty much like any other Angelica, except that the midribs are darker. Then, magically, it turns this incredible color and that color stays. Bloom period is August/Sept. I think I remember it coloring in CT in late July.

As I have mentioned before, it is biennial. It self-sows, but not invaisively so, at least not anywhere I have planted it, although I know that in Nova Scotia the Angelica archangelica seeds itself like crazy and the original stock brought from France in the 17th and 18th centuries has pretty much blanketed the maritimes..

The seed needs stratification, and therefore it makes it a perfect candidate for wintersowing. In fact, I have some out there in milk bottles right now. It likes to set seed in compost. It did very well in my soil in CT which was very clayey, but I amended as well as I could with compost and sand...I would also say that it benefits from drinks during droughts or really dry periods, otherwise the height will be stunted.

Digging Dog Nursery has the plant listed:

http://www.diggingdog.com/pages2/plantpages.php/P-0828

Plant Delights Nursery

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page8.html

Hazzard's Greenhouse in Deford, MI carries the seed. That's where I got mine to sow this winter: www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com

I originally bought my plants/seed from Comstock Ferre's in Wethersfield, CT. I checked their online catalog, and its not listed, and unfortunately their voice mailbox is full so I can't ask.

I really love this plant and wouldn't be without it and I can see why you are all so taken with it! Babies transplant well, although I've never tried to move the adults. I particularly liked to pair it with lillies, such as rubrum, or gold band. Others with maroon spots look good, and echinacea is another good companion for it.

I used Eupatorum Chocolate soldier nearby too. Great fun to play with this plant!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!