Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Larkspurs and lupines in Ohio?

alison
19 years ago

What success have y'all had with these two plants? I'm always intrigued by the pictures, and I'm thinking of starting some, knowing that they probably won't bloom until the second year.

How would they do in central Ohio? Do they need a lot of water, can they handle the humidity? Any special soil needs? How long do they bloom?

Appreciate and info you can give me!

Comments (7)

• mike_g_
    19 years ago

I love Russell lupines. I grew them many years ago where I used to live. There they were planted where they only got sun from morning to noon. Now I do not have a spot like that.
    I have not had much success with them here. I have tried plants and seeds both of which bloom the first year. The hot sun does them in in July. I have tried them many times.

Mike G

• fourpaws2002
    19 years ago

Hi Allison,
    I have larkspurs, I guess mine are a reseeding annual, they bloom from mid-April til about mid- June in part shade-moist soil, they reseed themselves over the summer and believe it or not the foilage is present now(when not covered in snow)
    I have some seed I saved, if you would like to trade(or sasbe) I'm sure if you sowed them indoors now & slowly hardened them off you will get blooms this spring
    LMK, always more than happy to share

• ohio_homegrown
    19 years ago

Hi Allison, larkspar is so easy, it reseeds and may as well be a perennial. I have plenty of seeds too, if you still need some seeds, email me and i would be happy to pop some in the mail. They have already been cold treated and i would plant outside soon. Mine are coming up now too. Linda in Columbus area.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Larkspurs are great! I'm experimenting with Lupines this year. I have a post or two either here or in Winter Sowing.

• juells3
    19 years ago

I would also like to grow larkspurs & lupines. I tried sowing seeds the last couple of years & nothing ever came up. What do you have to do to prepare the seed (cold treating?) & plant, soil type, etc? I understand that you have to start them from seed & can't actually buy plants at a nursery.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Alison...I have been gardening for many years and I have never been able to grow a lupine. I've tried them from seed, small plants and mature plants...they always die and never bloom. But, for the first time...this year I have "hope". My friend Betty from Michigan gave me a medium size plant last fall. I put it in my new lasagna garden. Guess what...I see green now. I don't know what the future will bring for this plant...but, I know it's not dead at the moment.

I like larkspur, too. I like to let them go to seed and watch them come up in unusual places in the garden.

...Beverly

• flowerchildky
    19 years ago

so glad to see this question asked...I have some lupine seeds - Texas bluebonnet and a maroon from my friend Bev in Lubbock, Tx. I winter sowed some, and have 1 bitty plant now- I sure hope I can get them to grow...

this is good info here- I will plant them where they will get some shade in the hot afternoons...

the pictures of them are sure pretty....I will try to post any success I have with them...

Linda in Louisville

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm