Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching for a nice shade tree...

Posted by srd2b z5 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 05 at 15:41

I'm searching for some shade tree suggestions. I would like something that is not messy (no nuts, helicopters, fruits, ect). This will provide shade for the center of our front yard. We just lost a River Birch in the ice storm.

Am just wondering if any of you have any that you would recommend. I would like to have a few in mind.

tia,
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching for a nice shade tree...

Plenty of good choices out there; search this forum or google with your subject line to see what's been said multiple times before. I assume you are in northern OH? Here's a few starters.....

Fraxinus americana clones (most are males, no seed)
Ginkgo biloba clones (most are males, no seed)
Gymnocladus dioicus (male clones, no seeds)
Nyssa sylvatica (male plants, no seeds)

Look for dioecious plants (male and female flowers on separate individual plants) and you should be able to reduce the "clutter" that you wish to avoid.

o

Here's another one, though I'd list it below most of those John detailed above in desirability - American persimmon, male clone.
Oh, and the 'Rotundifolia' selection of sweetgum(Liquidambar styraciflua) is purportedly gumball-less, but I've seen reports of individual branches reverting to fruit-producing phenotype. Still can't bring myself to plant a sweetgum, though.

o
oops

oops. I think that's probably Rotundiloba, not Rotundifolia.

o

• Posted by terr z5OH (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 10:57

A little leaf linden tree would be ideal. It is a beautiful pyramidal shaped tree and creates considerable amount of shade. Check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here