Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boy, do I feel silly!

Posted by chateauclubcrest SW Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 5, 07 at 16:53

I took a walk through my yard today as I have been monitoring the *much* sooner than expected arrival of my 'Rinjvelds's Early Sensation'. One of them will open tomorrow. Oh my! The scary thing is that I planted a large number of them around a tree last year but ran out. So I planted some more this year. The ones that have already spent a year in the ground are all coming through, but there's no sign of the ones I recently planted , so I guess they won't all be blooming at once this year.

But what has me feeling silly is that after a decade of mostly small yard gardening, I just assumed that "Sweet potato vine" was just another cute name. Oddly enough, I had a hard time finding the bright chartreuse ones this year, so I took a few cuttings to overwinter.

Then I read the entire thread "Sweet Potato Vine." http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ohioval/msg1012444526093.html?15

Now, it had never occured to me that this pretty foilage in my large containers might actually be a real sweet potato. After reading the "Sweet Potato Vine" thread, I decided to get out my trowel, and low and behold, where there had once been lovely trailing foilage was a tater! A big one, too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boy, do I feel silly!

I know I am still learning a good bit though I am a fairly seasoned gardener, so old dogs can still learn new tricks.

I too (just this year) became aware of the sweet potato vine having a tuber that can be saved and replanted the next season. This was my first year to even grow one.

Since you have a 'big one' I'm wondering if it might have multiple 'eyes', and if you could cut it up (as seed potatoes are), in the late winter/early spring, and start several plants from the one tater/tuber.

You just reminded me that I still need to rescue the one Sweet Potato tuber I grew last season. It was the lovely chartreuse one.

Sue

o

The first year I had Rijnveld's Early Sensation I was most unimpressed - they bloomed only a couple of days earlier than my King Alfreds. But ever since they've been quite early, and both my neighbor and I have buds about to bloom (although now it's turning cold.)

I like the tater story - I never thought about it either.

o

Does anyone know how they taste? I know, there's probably someting wrong with me, but I couldn't help but wonder about the flavor as I read these posts!

o

im new to this site. However I believe I read somewhere that the decorative vines, are un edible. andy

PS I dug mine up at the end of the summer and was surprise to find a tuber also.

o

Thanks for the answer, Andy! That would make sense... at least that they would have sacrificed taste for the prettiness of the leaf...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here