Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap & Potluck- 5/20/06 - link to info

storygardener
18 years ago

Hi Folks...I have posted the details & information for the annual Spring Plant Swap & Potluck in Hilliard, Ohio at the Get-Togethers forum. This year it's on Saturday, May 20, 2006. Just click on the link below to get to the Get Togethers Forum and then CLICK ON CENTRAL OHIO PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK.

Hope you can make it. It's always lots of fun.

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Get-togethers forum at the Gardenweb

Comments (50)

• alison
    18 years ago

Wow, starting this thread early! Got winter fever, Bev?

I can't wait -- 4 1/2 months to plot what to bring and plan what I want....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison...I've had two people email me already to see when the swap is! I figured...the interest seems to be there - so I'll post the information about it. (I reserved the shelter last fall for this spring.)

Yes..I do have a bit of winter fever all ready!

Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Yahooo!!!! I wish is were a bit closer, but hey....will drive for community. :)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michigoose!! Folks come from all over Ohio - from Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Pennsylvania, too. I am amazed, but, sure love that they attend.

We would welcome you..it's nice to meet the folks from the gardenweb forums.

Beverly

• hagey
    18 years ago

Hi! Beverly, we have our reservations made for that weekend. It is so much fun to see you and everyone. I think we missed your first one and that is all. Murray and Ron will have a lot to talk about with the golf and football.
    Michigoose - we drive down from MI and it is a really fun time. We also go down to Cory's and load up on hosta. We usually have to leave the plants at Beverly's so we can put the hostas in the trunk, and after the exchange we take a lot of them out of the pots and wrap them to get everything in the car. Fun time.
    It is a little early to know what we are all bringing but that is a fun time to see what everyone is bringing, so Michigoose - keep tuned in. Betty

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Betty!! So glad the reservations are made. I feel like it's "official" now.- if you know what I mean. We always have the best time! I am glad you and Ron make the trip.

I can't wait until the time gets closer and folks start talking about plants and food!

Beverly

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

I was really delighted to see this post already, I am sooooooooooo excited as usual. I have started making a list on what to grow and what to divide already. This swap really brings me out of the winter blah's. I know for sure that I won't miss it already on the calendar.

Can't wait to see everyone again and eat until I gain about 10 lbs and then look at so many plants that my eyes cross haha.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi JoAnn...I am glad to hear that I am not the only one ready and thinking about the swap. It helps - just to get rid of the stinky winter blues. I am glad you have it on the calendar!

Beverly

• sunburygirl
    18 years ago

Just stopped in after the holiday frenzy to see what's happening here. Right now I'm planning on coming, Karen and Mary (with the RV), my sister-in-law Gene from Lodi and my friend Kathy and Sharon who will both be Swap Virgins. Should be a blast! I'm planning on bringing the best heritage tomatoes seedlings possible!

Nancy

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Swap virgins...I am laughing out loud! Love it! It's great, Nancy, that this whole gang is coming to the swap. Those heirloom 'maters sound mighty good.

It's so good to hear from you.

I tell you all..it's like a breath a REAL spring air to be talking about the swap. ( I say REAL because, while the weather is a bit springy at the moment..it's still January by the calendar. I know winter will be back again.)

Beverly

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

oh my! i was just thinking about this the other day! the weather has been so pretty the past few days and i saw a cardinal yesterday too so spring is on my mind. by all means count me and margie in!! granny) her computer is messed up and the poor girl is just wasting away without all her friends on the gardenweb!!! This will be the best news shes had in awhile when i tell her i saw your post Bev!!!

Sue
    'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sue...yes, this springy weather has us all ready to get our hands in the dirt! It's so good to hear from you! I am glad you and Granny are coming to the swap.

Tell Granny we hope she gets her computer fixed. Or, she can go to the library, use their computer, and say hi.

Good gardening.......Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

The robins have been singing their spring songs....I'm ready! and I'm hoping to have something to swap...I know I'll have some red bud and some caryopteris...but being that this is a new garden, it's a little thin...hopefully some of my wintersown stuff will help out! Woohooo!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, Michigoose!! So glad you're planning on coming to the swap!!! There's always lots of extra plants. I think everyone leaves with lots of goodies.

I haven't seen my spring robin yet. But, it sure does feel like it should be soon.

Thinking spring, indeed........Beverly

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

I'm ready. not with my plants but ready to see everyone!
    Will mark my calender today! I can hardly wait either!
    And the Virgins won't be able to believe how nice everyone is, giving is fun...
    Recieving is funn too! Especially new to us plants!
    I love the girls in the RV,
    seems so funny to see them coming out of there,
    like they ran away from
    home, husbands and kids to get plants! haha
    My yard looks a mess with all the pots and the markers.
    Hopefully the stuff in pots will make it. They seem to do OK for me.
    Hi, Betty, this year I will wrap your hosta for you so you won't have to do it yourself to take home... If you go to Cory's and take the plants out of the pots, I will gladly take the pots off your hands....
    Kudo's to Beverly for getting this started again.
    Anyone feel free to mail me, sounds like this site is all up in arms with the new rules coming into affect...
    Hostalavista Babee... linda

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awllll rightie now...Hello Hostalavista! So good to hear from you!! Now make sure you don't schedule any wedding cakes for that day *giggle*. It will be great to see you again. Yes, Betty's got her reservations made. It's so much fun to start thinking about the swap.

Good gardening....Beverly

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

Are the rest of us Swap Sluts?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well...let's say we are the veterans...or maybe even worldly veterans.

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Thanks Beverly for guiding me to my post, I thought I did something wrong!! I'm keeping your address if you don't mind...
    Funny you said something about a cake, I just got thru doing a birthday cake... with DORA...
    OK so now we have the;;;
    Swap Virgins
    Swap Sluts
    Swap Veterans!!
    and I am a member of the
    Hosta Hoes...hahahahahahahahaha

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK..Hostalavista...YOU tell Betty she's a Hosta Hoe! *giggle* Funny!

Sure..keep my address.

I've been going around the garden on the warm January days...figuring which plants will be going to the swap.

Think spring...think swap!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I'm a swap slut! I am I am I am!

• hagey
    18 years ago

Hostalavista, Did they change the name for us Hosta Nuts to Hosta Hoes? I think I am one. I ordered Bodacious, Blueberry Tart, Ginsu Knife, Queen of the Seas, Heart Broken, Little Miss Magic, and the extras they give you are Allegan Fog and Stained Glass. My sister ordered them for me through her hosta club. She ordered the same, and this passed week she received a notice from Solberg that she had won second prize in some contest he had in his Monthly Letters. She has 200.00 worth of hostas that she can choose from his entire stock. She asked me to give her a list of what I would choose so she could make up her mind. The only one I listed and told her to buy two was Spartan Glory for old MSU. I will let you know when my hostas start to come up what I have to trade. Doing some thinning out this year.

Beverly, I do know now that I am a Hosta Hoes. I really have a long list for Cory's now. Time is going fast and I am sure it will be faster when we get home. Betty

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Betty...I think you are a Hosta NUT!! - and always will be in my book!

I am glad you are getting Spartan Glory - since you live practically in East Lansing! Sounds like you are going to get some nice hostas for your collection.

Wow..your sister won a contest where hostas are the prize. This is terrrific!!

Before you know it...it will be spring!

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BTW - we have 46 people that have said they are attending.

Think spring!

Beverly

• hagey
    18 years ago

Beverly & Mimi that is wonderful to have 46 people signed up already. Can't wait until we can see the plants coming up to list what we are bringing. It sure is a help to know what will be out there and gives you an idea of plants to bring. Not long until we will have this post busy.
    I have about a dozen cuttings of Sweet Potato Vines growing. I want to do more cuttings of the dark ones.
    Ohio State has done well. MSU has not had a good year.
    See you all on May 20th. Betty

• alison
    18 years ago

I have no idea what plants/seedlings will look good in three months, but I'm hoping to have some scented geranium cuttings to bring. The big plants I brought indoors were getting leggy, so I cut them all back over the weekend and have plenty of cuttings.

I've tried every possible method of starting these cuttings and have never had better than 50% sucess, so I'm going the easy route this year and simply sticking them in water. It works as well as any other method I've tried and it certainly is easy!

The great part is the way the whole foyer of the office smelled of scented geraniums for the rest of the week -- fresh and bright and lemony. Yum!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Betty! I know..every day I am out there looking to see what stays...goes...moves...gets divided AND it's only the end of February!! I am hopeless. Of course, I am out there eyeballing my Winter Sowings Jugs.

The Buckeyes are having a great season in BB...but, my Sparties are breakin' my heart. Oh well.

Alison..your scented geraniums sound so good on a cool February day. It's amazing how there are so many kinds. I can't seem to grow geraniums in the ground - I murder them. Only, in pots. Go figure. I have "geranium envy" ! (tee hee)

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BTW - we have over 45 folks interested in attending the swap at this time. Yippeee.

Beverly

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I think the winter cold has gone to your brains you Sluts and Hoes and all this talking about your Jugs on the WS forum! ;)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Folks...listen to this!!! I got an email today from Chris Baker, of Baker's Acres Greenhouse in Alexandria, Ohio. He has again offered a $50 gift certificate to our swap as a door prize. Mind you, I didn't approach him..he took it upon himself to offer this. What a kind generosity of spirit!
    WOW!!!!

BTW - we have some 63 people that have shown interest in attending the swap already.

Beverly

• hagey
    18 years ago

That is wonderful about Baker's Acres Greenhouse. I hope we are lucky and win that prize.
    It sounds like another great exchange with 63 people showing interest. It sure is one of the best exchanges we have ever been to.
    We have not decided what to bring yet as a door prize but will bring one.
    I have a dozen cuttings of Sweet Potato Vine in the window. We might leave them with Ron's sister for her garden. Our neighbor wanted some for her garage window boxs after she seen ours last year. Anxious to get home and see if anything is up. Let me know if you will visit before we come down? Betty

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Baker's Acres is the best! I can't wait to take my annual pilgrimage out there and drool over the coleus.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I'll race you there Bakemom! I just LOVE that place. By far the best selection of annuals and tropicals in the area and they also have a lot more of the harder to find perennials. I live out here on the East side so getting there is a nice ride through the country for me.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Betty!! I think we'd all love to win the Baker's Acres door prize!! He is such a kind and generous man. Yes, I can't wait until spring to go and get some plants & goodies there . I swear he has 100 different coleus in the greenhouse.

Betty, I don't think I'll be up in Michigan before the swap, but, I'll let you know if I happen to get there. (of course!)

Bakemom and Gardengirl...I won't be far behind getting to Baker's this spring!!

Can hardly wait for the swap, spring, flowers - yes, I want it ALL!

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Had to share...some 71 folks have now expressed interest in attending the swap!! I am getting so darn excited. I can't wait to start potting things up!!

Beverly

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

71 people already, that's wonderful. The swap is such a wonderful event I would say it will keep growing every year.

Where else can you go for a day of great people, plants and especially great food, I know I wouldn't miss it.
    I have started getting my thoughts together on what plants to bring and can't wait to see all the people again this year.

Beverly and Mimi sure know how to Git-R-Done lol. It takes alot of work to make this event a sucess and we all are just waiting for the day.

JoAnn

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Thanks JoAnn! (I think?) "...keep growing every year..."!!!!!! Are you trying to scare us? I thought that 125 swappers and almost 3,000 plants was HUGE enough! ;)

We love it! You all make the swap fabulous by your kind and givng hearts. (The fab food never hurts either!)

Gettin' excited!

~~Mimi

P.S. Beverly converted me to winter sowing and I have 20 jugs germinating. More goodies to bring!

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

Well let's shoot for the stars 150 people and 4000 plants LOL. I don't think that is too far out of reach considering how the phase Columbus plant swap brings all of us gardeners out for a pleasant day.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi JoAnn!! Isn't it exciting! The more the merrier (more goodies - plants and potluck). Beleive it not..I sent out emails to many of the folks from the past and half bounced back. There's no way to reach some of the people that have come in the past. That's too bad. Folks, if you know of people that have attended in past years - let them know in case they've changed their email address.

BTW.... we are up to 83 folks as of today! Yipppeeee!

I went out yesterday and saw so many things to pot up already: hellebore foestitis (sp?) salvia blue queen, black eyed suzies, daylilies and not too mention winter sowing extras. It will be a flower feast.

Think spring...Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

lol Hellebore foetidus....aka "stinking hellebore", one of my favs which I brought down from CT! Wow...I'm really impressed...THAT many people? Where will we all park?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michigoose...there's plenty of room at the park for cars. Actually, there's a parking lot right at the shelter and another one adjacent, too. Mimi and I put up signs right in front of the shelter so folks can unload their plants in front and then go park the car. It works out well.

Yep...I have many of those "stinkin'" hellebores to bring. (two year old seedlings) I like their greenish flowers.

It's fun to start thinking about it!

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well...I planted up my first swap plants today. The are two cranesbill hardy geraniums

Woohoo!!! Let the digging begin.

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just realized...only six weeks until the swap. Love it!!!

Hope to see you there....Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I'm so excited!!! And I've been talking it up to my one neighbor who has been looking at me like I have really lost it! Man....I'm going to cry having to wait so long.....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michigoose...I am excited too!! If you're neighbor thinks you've lost it - you should bring her to the swap and she'll know we've all gone off the deep end!!

I've potted up about 20 plants so far...yipppeee.

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Only five more weeks until the swap...

I've potted up:

New England Aster
    Aster Prof. Kippenberg
    Ladies Mantle
    Lavendar Munstead
    Several kinds of cranesbill
    Red Husker Penstemon
    Hellebores Foetitus
    Blue Queen Salvia
    Oat Grass
    Volunteer clematis seedlings ?
    Black eyed susies

I have gotten to the extra wintersown goodies yet.

I have new neighbors (next door) They don't have a single flower in their yard. I'll give them first picks.

Can hardly wait...89 folks are interested..what fun.

Beverly

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I just am excited and scared too! I don't want anyone to miss it, and I'm dragging my neighbor along with.... :)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Michigoose...thanks for bringing this thread back up to the top. Heavens...don't be scared. Everyone is friendly and sharing. Glad you will bring your friend.

Wow...we now have some 127 folks that have shown interest in attending.

I can hardly wait!!

Beverly

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Ok.....we're almost there....anyone going? Anyone ALIVE out there? Anyone have gardening burnout????

• alison
    17 years ago

I'm rev'd up and rarin' to go. I have the day off work tomorrow (unheard of!) to finish sorting things and do some cooking.

Can't wait -- hope the weather is nice, but I know the swap will be great even in the pouring rain!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets