Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Lavender Near Huntington, West Virginia?

Posted by just_me_6 WV 6 -Tri State: Ohi (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 6:48

I am planning to start a large Lavender garden soon and would love to hear from anyone in my area who has grown lavender. Any tips or advice on your experiences (good or bad) would be very much appreciated.

I am also interested in finding Lavender sources as I will need to get some plants in the very near future. Lavender plugs would be cheaper than plants but I don't know if I have the patience to wait several years for a harvest.

P.S. - Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive or recycled raised bed materials for my Lavender? I have horrible clay soil and a raised bed is a must. Or maybe you have some knowledge or pictures of planting Lavender in mounds? My concern with mounds is that it would be hard to keep the stone, marble or sand mulch in place and most books recommend this type mulch in humid areas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Lavender Near Huntington, West Virginia?

I'm in Central Ohio, and have had pretty good success with my Lavandula Hidcote Superior....One thing: Our soil is VERY rock, which provides fantastic drainage! I also have them in a spot with full sun. I purchased mine from Bluestone Perennials. Good luck!

o
RE: Anyone Growing Lavender Near Huntington, West Virginia?

i was going to say that it is important to have good drainage under the plants and to remember that they like hot and dry(good drainage) so that a stone mulch around the plants is a good idea. that said i just plunked 3 plants int to flower be next to my front steps (mostly clay) and don't do anything for them and they have survived for 6 or 7 years here in northeast ohio.

diggerb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here